Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

We Can't All be Airship Captains

+48
BaronPablo
K. smithington
Captain Arabella Cox, Ret
5.6. Kaboom
Miss Twist
Captain Lyerly
Anders
chshrkt
Karl Heinz
Mlle. A. aurantia
The Kernel
ms_boo_dreadful
Dr. Oliver Cross
electroginge
Mich
shadowbeast
DepthsofSpace
Dandeliondream
LimeBerry
Captain McCannon
von Corax
lord.israel.datchery
sophia St.Clair
Mad Miss Holmes
Mrs. Sullivan
Silas Morgan
CaptZaphod
Jester
Miss Gaslight
Paul8v
Administrator
Steamblast Mary
Mr Clockwork
Tanuki
The V.A.P.
magister
B. R. Wilson
Mad Maxine
Zwack
Lady Penelope
Jemima Annabelle Clough
justredstockings
Dusza Beben
T.Taylor the Third
Elisha Rush
Khai
Gazongola
KatarinaNavane
52 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 3 Empty Re: We Can't All be Airship Captains

Post  Silas Morgan Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:37 am

Hey.... we got as far as Overlord....... isn't Evil Overlord next?

I'm guessing that everyone has already seen this.... but it's just so much fun to read again....

The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 3 Empty Re: We Can't All be Airship Captains

Post  DepthsofSpace Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:32 am

I would love to do a more space influenced thins, but I don't know what to do with it. The harsh, industrial landscapes of the game Freelancer, namely the Bretonian and Liberty systems have given me a lot of imagery in my head for years. Since it takes a architectural and political nod from the 19th century, a dose of 21st century society and mixes it a 1,000 post-apocalyptic years ahead, it has some elements of the steampunk world.

However, the persona I am building is dealing with a bit more of the fantasy realm (not my usual forte, either).

My persona is that of a vigilante and self-described defender of faeries and other mystical forest beings. The story is, as a youngster (8-9), his family moved from the Canadian countryside, where he spent hours everyday playing alone in the forest, to an American industrial city. The move was done in the name of 'joining the modern world' and ended up driving his family into a cold, passionless existence of 14 hour work days, and schools that stifle creativity. With a chip on his shoulder from the years in the system, as young man he escaped the city and returning to what he hoped would be the enchanted forest of his youth, and found them ravaged by the industrial machine and poachers hoping to capture elements of his mystic world for profit. At this point, he decided to fight back. Gaining money by theft and odd jobs, he became a stalker of those who encroached on what he felt was the last beauty left in the world.

At least that is the story I'm working out, perhaps I will turn it into a short story. I'm going, not so much for a bad-ass character, or a superhero. But, instead of a highly introspective, quiet-type with a violent steak. Since I'm just starting on this, I'm still working on my outfits to be modeled after the persona. Weapons are also going to be considered. I always have favored bullets to rays, lasers or particle beams.

No airship, but wanting a triplane...

DepthsofSpace
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 7
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  shadowbeast Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:20 pm

I am the one hidden in the darkness and metal, that would like to make something out of you............

What? Society does that to you all, they take all you have, all you are, make you their cash cow, their slave, their landfill; but I'm the one people run screaming from just because my parts storage contains as many dead mens bones and leather as gears and hydraulic/pneumatic cylinders. Bloody double standards...

Yes, I'm a Cryx player, why do you ask?
shadowbeast
shadowbeast
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Mich Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:00 pm

Well I can take or leave air travel, so being a captain is not for me. I'm more into the arts, being an ex-dancer myself, and now concentrating on making the costumes. I'm a bit of a lateral thinker I supose, ready for adventure, ( with a bit of fossil hunting and tinkering on the side). One word to describe myself: Notorious. Very Happy ( Ooohh I might start a thread on that).
Mich
Mich
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 3 Empty me?

Post  electroginge Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:17 am

I'd like to think my persona would be something like a "Time-Switch Reconnaisance Photographer"! (Thinks this is a reasonable explanation as to my 1940's military garbe with photographic equpiment from the 1970's and 1920's(and how my goggle project turned out more dieselpunk than steampunk...))
electroginge
electroginge
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Elisha Rush Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:55 am

KatarinaNavane wrote:I wonder what the sky pirates steal, since we don't seem to have any sky-merchant ships in the air. Maybe they just all steal the same treasure back and forth from eachother.

Well - on another thread, I said I was using my airship to deliver ready built vaccation homes and hotels to scenic locations... that would be something to steal. That's why the Amy K has a one pound rifle fore and a gattling aft. Although this new machine gun from Colt - the potato digger - might look good.

Elisha Rush
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  KatarinaNavane Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:21 pm

Elisha Rush wrote:
KatarinaNavane wrote:I wonder what the sky pirates steal, since we don't seem to have any sky-merchant ships in the air. Maybe they just all steal the same treasure back and forth from eachother.

Well - on another thread, I said I was using my airship to deliver ready built vaccation homes and hotels to scenic locations... that would be something to steal. That's why the Amy K has a one pound rifle fore and a gattling aft. Although this new machine gun from Colt - the potato digger - might look good.

big airship!
KatarinaNavane
KatarinaNavane
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Oliver Cross Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:42 pm

Zwack wrote:
KatarinaNavane wrote:
I think you and I are in very different fictional universes...

My dear lady, you see what comes of travelling. The Universe isn't fictional. It's a provable scientific fact.

Z.

Poppycock. Give me five minutes and I can disprove the universe's existance. Of course, I'll do it by disproving both your existance and my own, but no plan's perfect!

But on the original topic, well... Dr. Cross is basically an Auric Goldfinger type, with his fingers in everything. He actually operates a small, seven-vessel airship cargo company, called Eclipse Importing and Exporting, which specializes in transporting whatever needs to be moved across the Empire. Having lost three of his vessels to sky pirates, the (not-so-) good doctor now arms his ships. Legally, as he has title to do as they are auxillary vessels of Her Majesty's Aeronautical Navy. Indeed, Horizon Star, the flagship of the fleet, is more heavily armed than HMAS Royal, the first of the Royal-class aerial dreadnoughts the Aeronautical Navy has so recently commissioned. Still, the pirates keep coming.

Why does he operate this line? Well, SOMETHING needs to keep the money coming in until he manages that eternal life elixir he's been working on, and let's face it, having his money work at making him money gives him more time to troll the streets of London looking for unsuspecting victims to murder and harvest.... (No, he's not Jack. Jack's a hack. Jack's left evidence, you see....)

Last edited by Dr. Oliver Cross on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dr. Oliver Cross
officer
officer

Number of posts : 85
Flag : Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  ms_boo_dreadful Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:46 pm

Personally i dont really have a persona... im just me... i have found im odd enough just being me without creating a new me....be sides i worked very hard to discover who i really am... i dont want to discover who a new me might be. im a writer,singer,violinist,painter,jeweler,wild heart,herbalist,holistic nutrionist... and many many other things....

I'm the Boo.....

and the Boo has no sence of direction so i wouldnt make a good captain Razz
ms_boo_dreadful
ms_boo_dreadful
officer
officer

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  The Kernel Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:03 pm

ms_boo_dreadful wrote:

and the Boo has no sence of direction so i wouldnt make a good captain Razz

That's what the navigator is for!

Joking aside - I'm with Miss Boo on this one -

in the words of the children's song - "Im glad that I am me"

I have many different "personas" in real life (family and various professional roles) - no need for alternative persona's as well!
The Kernel
The Kernel
officer
officer

Number of posts : 116
Flag : Swizerland
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Steamblast Mary Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:23 pm

Dr. Oliver Cross wrote:
Having lost three of his vessels to sky pirates,

Er... hmmm... you weren't able to identify the ship(s) in question, by any chance, were you? Just out of, um, curiosity...

*shuffles in front of some cargo and looks innocent*

Dr. Oliver Cross wrote:

... having his money work at making him money gives him more time to troll the streets of London looking for unsuspecting victims to murder and harvest.... (No, he's not Jack. Jack's a hack. Jack's left evidence, you see....)

Have you seen the animated "Hellsing: the London Assignment"?

Steamblast Mary
officer
officer

Number of posts : 120

Back to top Go down

Post  Mlle. A. aurantia Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:29 pm

Ms. Boo, where exactly does one learn herbalism in our area? I am interested.

My reality is far more fantastical than any stempunk fantasy, so I merge the two.

I am a 21st century punkergoth occultist who happened to get kidnapped by an evil time-travelling inventor/businessman. He swears that I bespelled him, so we never have decided who is the captor and who is the slave. It's pathetic, really, I can't very well escape until I am sure that I am not the villain, and we should probably settle this before attempting world domination together. This level of disprganization never bodes well against heroes. I am not even close to being a lady, though I make an excellent "Alfred," as SOMEONE has to clean up after villainous time-travelling businessmen. He tries, though. He actually persuades me to wear a dress on occasion, as long as I can hide a switchblade in my corset.

I am American, as is he. I use the title "Mademoiselle" because a masked sort-of-a-gentleman in the Paris Opera called me that in irony once. I kept it to irritate him.

Mlle. A. aurantia
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  ms_boo_dreadful Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:50 pm

it isnt exactly easy. i would say 50% of it i was taught through my family (there is an herbalist in every generation) the rest i learned through my own research and the rest im learning here: Clayton College Of Natural Health
ms_boo_dreadful
ms_boo_dreadful
officer
officer

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Oliver Cross Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:42 pm

No, Ms. Steamblast, I hadn't been able to identify the source of those attacks. Not until now, anyway...!

And no, I fear I'd not read that text, but I'll check it out from my university library. You see, I attend Portland State University, and Dark Horse Comics not three days ago donated their entire collection, two of literally every single object they've ever been involved in the creation of, be it a text, film, video game, novel, statue, action figure, or anything else, literally EVERTHING Dark Horse, to the university's library. And the donation is ongoing. Two of everything they ever produce will be logged, transported, and added to the Portland State collection. So I intend to take advantage of this fact and read everything steamy they've got available!

Dr. Oliver Cross
officer
officer

Number of posts : 85
Flag : Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  Steamblast Mary Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:18 pm

... Is it too late to apply to attend Portland State University?

Van Helsing: The London Assignment is an animated film (not sure if it qualifies as "anime" per se), it has the same voice actors as in the film- Hugh Jackman, etc. Entertaining enough- and a stronger script than the film itself (dear gad, was that in desperate need of some harsh editting. That had the potential to be a fantastic old-school adventure film, instead in spent a lot of it with pillows over my ears going "agghh! Shut up! just Shut Up!)

Steamblast Mary
officer
officer

Number of posts : 120

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Heinz Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am

I've never really thought of myself as having a steampunk "persona", but i've been described many times as an "inane tinkerer", and i'm training as an engineer after an abortive career in the military, so I see myself basically as a slightly insane military engineer, probably on some small gunboat/steam sloop on the way to the colonies.
I'm also interested military history, the 19th century included, and that makes me lean towards the Prussian side of things (as being British, yet another tea-drinking British officer is a little cliche, although sorely tempting)
So when you imagine my alter-ego, see a coal/oil stained young engineer in khakis, wearing a sam browne belt, a pith helmet with spike and the ubiquitous brass goggles and archaic looking revolver, standing on the deck of a ship looking not unlike this:
We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 3 Hpim1274tm3
Regards,
Herr Karl Von Heinz, 1st engineer, SMS Kaiser Wilhelm der grosse, at sea. 60 souls, 8 guns.
(Matt)
Karl Heinz
Karl Heinz
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:37 pm

Here's what they steal:
We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 3 Airshippirateatworknq2.thWe Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 3 Thpix
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Number of posts : 163

http://42cookies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  chshrkt Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:54 am

I will have you know that I am a respectable sky merchant captain, currently fulfilling a contract with the Royal Post to deliver mail to the colonies near San Francisco.

While I do not condone the actions of so called "Sky Pirates", the ones I have come in contact with do follow the strict Code of the Order of the Brethren. (though I suppose some would say they are more like "guidelines" than actual rules)

Here is a pictograph of me, my lady and our aeroship engineer at a local ball recently.
Spoiler:
chshrkt
chshrkt

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:35 am

currently fulfilling a contract with the Royal Post to deliver mail to the colonies near San Francisco.
While I do not condone the actions of so called "Sky Pirates",

Yeah... but do you have one of these....? Razz

We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 3 NortonMarque

Sorry..... it got cropped a bit.......
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Anders Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:10 am

My alter-ego isn't quite fully developed, but I gather he's...shall we say...an obtainer of rare antiquities. Is there an official job title for "Adventurer?" After all, if I'm going to have an alter ego, he might as well do things I could never even attempt. Hmm, but in that light, maybe he's a cook?

Anders
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:40 pm

Silas Morgan wrote:
currently fulfilling a contract with the Royal Post to deliver mail to the colonies near San Francisco.
While I do not condone the actions of so called "Sky Pirates",

Yeah... but do you have one of these....? Razz

We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 3 NortonMarque

Sorry..... it got cropped a bit.......
I have found a loop hole in your protectorate!
This only allows defense of the territories & waters...not the airways!
Ha!
Airship pirates need to stay airborne, and are free of retaliation!
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Number of posts : 163

http://42cookies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Zwack Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:03 pm

It doesn't matter... Emperor Joshua Norton I forgot to date it... It's not valid yet either.

Z.

Zwack
Comanding Officer

Number of posts : 223
Flag : Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Post  KatarinaNavane Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:54 pm

Zwack wrote:It doesn't matter... Emperor Joshua Norton I forgot to date it... It's not valid yet either.

Z.

<3 emperor norton
KatarinaNavane
KatarinaNavane
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 65

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:01 pm

Zwack wrote:It doesn't matter... Emperor Joshua Norton I forgot to date it... It's not valid yet either.

Z.

Mine is...... Hey.... Emperor Norton is a busy man.

I have found a loop hole in your protectorate!
This only allows defense of the territories & waters...not the airways!
Naw.... the Air and Mineral rights are included in the Republic Of California's Territories & Waters.....
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:09 pm

<pissst.... I left it blank so anyone else could fill it in for themselves.......>

If you want a copy for yourself, it is here....
https://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/PatrickHand/?action=view&current=NortonMarque.jpg

I'm not sure if you have to enlarge the image (click on it ) before saving or not.... but it should work....
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next