Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

We Can't All be Airship Captains

+48
BaronPablo
K. smithington
Captain Arabella Cox, Ret
5.6. Kaboom
Miss Twist
Captain Lyerly
Anders
chshrkt
Karl Heinz
Mlle. A. aurantia
The Kernel
ms_boo_dreadful
Dr. Oliver Cross
electroginge
Mich
shadowbeast
DepthsofSpace
Dandeliondream
LimeBerry
Captain McCannon
von Corax
lord.israel.datchery
sophia St.Clair
Mad Miss Holmes
Mrs. Sullivan
Silas Morgan
CaptZaphod
Jester
Miss Gaslight
Paul8v
Administrator
Steamblast Mary
Mr Clockwork
Tanuki
The V.A.P.
magister
B. R. Wilson
Mad Maxine
Zwack
Lady Penelope
Jemima Annabelle Clough
justredstockings
Dusza Beben
T.Taylor the Third
Elisha Rush
Khai
Gazongola
KatarinaNavane
52 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 2 Empty Re: We Can't All be Airship Captains

Post  Steamblast Mary Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:39 pm

Time travel device? Try a bottle of absinthe. You drink it, then when you wake up- presto! It's next Tuesday.

My character is the engineer on the airship Aurora Adeamus, tinkering, tightening, shovelling coal, clinker and ash, sporting a layer of grease and soot. None of this ladylike froo-froo for me (unless I feel like it).

I'm not Captain material. "Captain Mary, what are your orders?" "Um, I dunno... fetch me pancakes! Paint the envelope purple. Let's go look at Stingrays! More syrup on these pancakes, man, or I'll have you flayed."

Steamblast Mary
officer
officer

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 2 Empty Re: We Can't All be Airship Captains

Post  Administrator Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:36 pm

KatarinaNavane wrote:Seems like most people's steamy-personas are all either sky pirates, mad scientists or gentleman and ladies. But the world can't function with these alone. I'd like to hear from those of you with more practical personas. Or at least more creative.

Mine's based on myself, an artist/writer with a penchant for traveling with pirates (acquiring passage by either paying her way, working, seducing captains, or some combination thereof) to gather material. Upper middle class background, daughter of a printmaker/professor. Doesn't get along too well with society types and doesn't have the best of reputations, but not a criminal by any means.

I suppose on of the appeals about the more fantastical engineering side, is that with a few mechanical minions, some monsterous machines & various other technalogical illiterations, a society can function without all the components you'd usualy associate with it... However a few more practical types always make it more interesting, after all someone needs to build them in the first place Surprised
Administrator
Administrator
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 126
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-09-12

https://sparegoggles.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul8v Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:51 pm

a paranormal investigator, with steamed ghostbusters style kit! i know ectoplasm was apparently coined in 1923 but steampunk does stretch the boundries of imaginaton so I cant see why not.

Paul8v
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Gaslight Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:24 pm

I think I must be an actress because I jump from style to style, persona to persona. Either that or I am just mad, they both work for me.
Miss Gaslight
Miss Gaslight
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  KatarinaNavane Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:03 pm

I wonder what the sky pirates steal, since we don't seem to have any sky-merchant ships in the air. Maybe they just all steal the same treasure back and forth from eachother.
KatarinaNavane
KatarinaNavane
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Penelope Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:13 pm

KatarinaNavane wrote:I wonder what the sky pirates steal, since we don't seem to have any sky-merchant ships in the air. Maybe they just all steal the same treasure back and forth from eachother.

The airship pirates in Kenneth Oppel's book AIRBORN seem to do pretty well helping themselves to the furs, jewelry and cargo of wealthy luxury airship passengers. And if you've got some mad (or even just somewhat eccentric) inventor-type creating prototypes of potentially lucrative inventions on his own private airship (as in Oppel's SKYBREAKER), that's a target-rich environment as well. Especially if, due to some unforeseen tragic event, said airship were to suffer a freak accident and spend the next half-century floating about the upper atmosphere as a ghost ship, its hidden treasures tantalizing the imaginations of every fortune-hunter out there....

(Can you tell what I've been reading lately? Very Happy )
Lady Penelope
Lady Penelope
officer
officer

Number of posts : 113

Back to top Go down

Post  Jester Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:25 pm

By trade I'm a cowboy, but consider myself a jack of all trades... that includes a shootist, tinkerer, mechanic, tracker, spy and inventor.
Jester
Jester
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-01

http://www.myspace.com/fort_jester

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:44 pm

I've been described as a(n): chrononaught, mad scientist, good timer, airship pirate(quite possibly), maniac self-publicist, terribly bad at personal relationships, and often thought, to be completely out to lunch

But hey, I'm so hip I can't see over my own pelvis.

Does everyone know where their towel is?
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Number of posts : 163

http://42cookies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:14 pm

I wonder what the sky pirates steal, since we don't seem to have any sky-merchant ships in the air.
The good thing is that we don't seem to have many people being "Air Defense Gunners" either..... Very Happy
So luxury Air-liners and "Dropping in" on a target are lucrative ventures...

"Captin.... Captin.... we be runnin' low on Rum....."
" Well thar be a distillery right down thar..... we'll fix that problem right quick like...."
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Sullivan Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:51 pm

I don't consider that I have a "persona" as such; my Steampunk self is pretty much my real self, just wearing more interesting clothing!

A well educated, married, solidly middle-class lady, wife of a mechanic, not wealthy by any means, but not living in abject poverty either.

However, I do enjoy making and decorating hats - I may go into millinery.
Mrs. Sullivan
Mrs. Sullivan
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 115

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Penelope Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:56 pm

I suspect an airship pirate crew could also dock briefly at the top of a skyscraper, rob the folks in the upper floors, and then beat a hasty retreat before police can come running up the steps or catch an elevator car. Might not make for the most lucrative haul, but if a crew were desperate enough, it would make for some quick pocket money.

See, this is why, if I were an airship captain or crew, I would want legitimate work. Sure, skippering a mail carrier isn't all that glamorous, but it's guaranteed pay. And if one were more of a freelance captain-for-hire, one might have to work a bit harder to get cargo and/or passengers for one's income, but still, there's variety and excitement enough in that job, I should think. Although a privately owned luxury airship, just for the sake of personal travel and exploration...yes, that would be my preference. With a few gunners on board, of course, to take care of those pesky pirates. Wink
Lady Penelope
Lady Penelope
officer
officer

Number of posts : 113

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Miss Holmes Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:46 am

Hm. I'm afraid I get too violently airsick to be an airship captain, or even a member of the crew. My persona is the AU unknown sister of Sherlock Holmes (which is entirely feasible, considering that Mycroft never made an appearance until the Greek Interpreter). She is ostensibly an historian and professor of archaeology, using that family's gift for observation to solve the mysteries of the past. Otherwise, she occasionally runs missions for MI6, which was founded earlier in her universe, and makes herself generally unpopular by being a New Woman. She also supplements her income by assisting her landlady and friend with the housekeeping at the B&B at which she permanently resides.

Though... I suppose that some of her hobbies could classify her as a mad scientist. Even so, that isn't her main occupation.
Mad Miss Holmes
Mad Miss Holmes
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post  KatarinaNavane Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:16 am

Mad Miss Holmes wrote:Hm. I'm afraid I get too violently airsick to be an airship captain, or even a member of the crew. My persona is the AU unknown sister of Sherlock Holmes (which is entirely feasible, considering that Mycroft never made an appearance until the Greek Interpreter). She is ostensibly an historian and professor of archaeology, using that family's gift for observation to solve the mysteries of the past. Otherwise, she occasionally runs missions for MI6, which was founded earlier in her universe, and makes herself generally unpopular by being a New Woman. She also supplements her income by assisting her landlady and friend with the housekeeping at the B&B at which she permanently resides.

Though... I suppose that some of her hobbies could classify her as a mad scientist. Even so, that isn't her main occupation.

Modern science has given us a lovely cure for motion sickness, a little patch you stick behind your ear, available with a doctor's prescription but well worth the trouble, which completely negates motion sickness with minimal side effects (it'll make you thirsty but that's about it). I'm operating under the assumption that some lovely mad scientist type has come up with a similar concoction.
KatarinaNavane
KatarinaNavane
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 65

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:24 am

KatarinaNavane wrote:I wonder what the sky pirates steal, since we don't seem to have any sky-merchant ships in the air. Maybe they just all steal the same treasure back and forth from eachother.

We lower elevation, and descend upon those cannonless-expensive, cruise liners. Those wealthy so-and-so's are unarmed and unprepared for an assault from above. Muh-ha-ha-ha!
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Miss Holmes Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:43 am

KatarinaNavane wrote:
Modern science has given us a lovely cure for motion sickness, a little patch you stick behind your ear, available with a doctor's prescription but well worth the trouble, which completely negates motion sickness with minimal side effects (it'll make you thirsty but that's about it). I'm operating under the assumption that some lovely mad scientist type has come up with a similar concoction.

I'd discovered that ginger is a pretty decent cure for motion sickness, but eating it constantly as I have to produces a rather irritated GI tract after a while. I shall ask my physician about this patch, though. Very Happy It would be nice to board an aeroplane without the expectation of having to use the 'barfbag'.
Oddly, though, I have never gotten seasick... Hm.
Mad Miss Holmes
Mad Miss Holmes
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:23 am

Drink 'nough th' night before, and ye might....... Shocked

(Quick, colorful, and a lotsa laughs fer everyone else....... wots not being sick also.....)

But if yer an airship Pyrate, it might be kinda funny watchin' people on th' ground divein' fer cover.......
(rats... no "green" smiley when you really need one...(the Alien one isn't quite what I wanted))
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Miss Holmes Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:32 am

Silas Morgan wrote:

Drink 'nough th' night before, and ye might....... Shocked

(Quick, colorful, and a lotsa laughs fer everyone else....... wots not being sick also.....)

But if yer an airship Pyrate, it might be kinda funny watchin' people on th' ground divein' fer cover.......
(rats... no "green" smiley when you really need one...(the Alien one isn't quite what I wanted))

xD That, though, would be the product of the lovely hangover and not a direct result of the motion of the waves.

And that might be a good way to lay airborne siege to someone who's displeased you. A good volley of nauseous regurgitations would be enough to teach anyone a lesson!
Mad Miss Holmes
Mad Miss Holmes
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  sophia St.Clair Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:41 am

I'll be a Victorian Royal Postal Service Delivery Person for Royal Post Airmail, Mail by Zeppelin at the coming Steam Con...

Look for me delivering letters to the crowd in my Royal Post Uniform!
sophia St.Clair
sophia St.Clair
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-26

http://stclairaeronauts.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lord.israel.datchery Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:51 am

Lord Israel datchery: gentleman and 5 star admiral in his majesty royal navy. sky pirates killed his mother and father during a raid on Christmas eve of 1801 stemming his hatred of sky pirates and his mission to rid the air of their kind. serving bravely under admiral Horatio Nelson at Trafalgar he worked steadily and persistent till he became captain and soon after admiral. now with his ship the HMS Dreadnought and crew he searches the for pirates in hope to get revenge for his parents death.

lord.israel.datchery

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:59 am

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax is, for the most part, simply a pseudonym rather than a fully-developed (or developed at all, for that matter) alter-ego. My Lipson-Shiu classification really is ICUE (Mad Scientist), and those who know me in meatspace will corroborate this claim (while quietly retreating to Minimum Safe Distance.)

The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics long predates my discovery of Steampunk (I coined it while working systems support on several very-antiquated computer systems for an employer whose head offices were in Leverkusen, Germany).

As for the title, I wanted something less mundane-sounding than Mister, but I hold neither rank nor title; however, as I am both Executive Director and Board of Governors of the Institute, I agreed unanimously that I was within my rights to grant me a Research Professorship...

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 196
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCannon Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:33 am

Well I'm going to be a spaceman. /pout

In all seriousness, though, Miss Iffy McCannon here IS, technically, a spaceman. McCannon's job is to find a route into space and presumably conquer it, and the HMS Ziggurat's ultimate function is to be a space-ready ship (can't say it's going very well so far...). Meanwhile, she's skylocked until further notice. ):

I can't quite think of a better prefix than "Captain", though, and "Cap McCannon" DOES roll of the tongue so well..

Last edited by Captain McCannon on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Captain McCannon
Captain McCannon
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 34

http://arwenflames.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:47 pm

Captain McCannon wrote:Well I'm going to be a spaceman. /pout

In all seriousness, though, Miss Iffy McCannon here IS, technically, a spaceman. McCannon's job is to find a route into space and presumably conquer it, and the HMS Ziggurat's ultimate function is to be a space-ready ship (can't say it's going very so far...). Meanwhile, she's skylocked until further notice. ):

I can't quite think of a better prefix than "Captain", though, and "Cap McCannon" DOES roll of the tongue so well..

Oooo can I come?
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  LimeBerry Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:03 pm

I seem to be one of the few about that doesn't care to take up the position of captain. I respect most who do, as many I have seen who desire the post have the proper capabilities to carry it through. I simply prefer to entertain myself with my own machinations and creations.

LimeBerry
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-30

http://fouryong.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:23 am

LimeBerry wrote:I seem to be one of the few about that doesn't care to take up the position of captain. I respect most who do, as many I have seen who desire the post have the proper capabilities to carry it through. I simply prefer to entertain myself with my own machinations and creations.
Actually...Captain was the title on the jacket that used to belong to a Chrono Corp member.

The title I want is Emperor.
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  Dandeliondream Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:46 am

I want to be Overlord Extreme! Twisted Evil

Ok not really,I am fine with being a seamstress in training/spinner/detective/pirat pirat with a twist of tea maid. Smile
Dandeliondream
Dandeliondream
officer
officer

Number of posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next