Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

We Can't All be Airship Captains

+48
BaronPablo
K. smithington
Captain Arabella Cox, Ret
5.6. Kaboom
Miss Twist
Captain Lyerly
Anders
chshrkt
Karl Heinz
Mlle. A. aurantia
The Kernel
ms_boo_dreadful
Dr. Oliver Cross
electroginge
Mich
shadowbeast
DepthsofSpace
Dandeliondream
LimeBerry
Captain McCannon
von Corax
lord.israel.datchery
sophia St.Clair
Mad Miss Holmes
Mrs. Sullivan
Silas Morgan
CaptZaphod
Jester
Miss Gaslight
Paul8v
Administrator
Steamblast Mary
Mr Clockwork
Tanuki
The V.A.P.
magister
B. R. Wilson
Mad Maxine
Zwack
Lady Penelope
Jemima Annabelle Clough
justredstockings
Dusza Beben
T.Taylor the Third
Elisha Rush
Khai
Gazongola
KatarinaNavane
52 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 4 Empty Re: We Can't All be Airship Captains

Post  Captain Lyerly Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:03 pm

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T., at your service! No, the "Captain", in my case, has nothing to do with airships. I have been a professional soldier, an Officer for lo these many years now. I have served under some 14 flags (so far), with commissions as varied as Commodore, Bashar, Polkovnik, and Field Marshal. Lancers, Elephant Artillery, Camel Corps, Steam Launch Torpedo Squadron, and so on. I also commanded the first mobile battery of the Dickinson (Winans) Steam Gun against the Turks.

Actually, Captain is a courtesy title, as I am between commissions. I could insist on Conde', or Count, but I am an American, after all.

I do have this idea for an invasion force of Airship Marines, however. The new Dropwings would allow an entire Regiment to be transported, effectively instantaneously, deep within enemy territory; with a whole Airship Squadron, a Division with Cavalry support and Artillery could present any foreign capital a 'Fait Accompli' as it were, and no land-based defensive lines could prevent it.

Chas.

Captain Lyerly
Comanding Officer

Number of posts : 226
Flag : Belgium
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 4 Empty Re: We Can't All be Airship Captains

Post  Miss Twist Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:28 am

I'm more diesel than steam, but also certainly not an airship captain.

I am Miss Charlie Twist. Often just referred to as Twist, and no relation to one Oliver.

I'm a wanderer. I've traveled the world, sometimes by pirate ship, some times by merchant ship but mostly by my motorcycle and train. I much prefer land travel than air, though I'm not too fond of sea travel either, does terrible things to my bike, Fang*. When I'm not traveling I live in a large "Garage" that services pretty much anything that can get to it in the middle of the desert. It was here I learnt my trade as both a mechanic and an accountant (only female in the place suppose it was bound to happen). I'm also an occultist of some skill.

*On the road the soul in my motorcycle, Luk Fangare (Fang for short), is my only company. He is both the bikes power source, and security system. He's smart and witty but mouths off a lot. I came across a device in my wanderings that allows his soul to leave the machine and take a physical form. So he will often be seen wandering market places along side me.
Miss Twist
Miss Twist

Number of posts : 1
Flag : Austria
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  5.6. Kaboom Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:50 am

Captain Lyerly wrote:Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T., at your service!

DM, is that you?

(OBT, dead giveaway. Trying to trade your tanks for airships. Shame.)

5.6. Kaboom
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Lyerly Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:26 pm

Wow, no... I have been a DM in the dim and distant, I have even spent time in the North Atlantic... or under it, as it were. But no, the O.B.T. is the Ordre du Bons Temps, of which I am a member. Not spent time in any tanks, other than the former Iraqi Army tanks which were a bit of a DU hazard at the time.

Sorry to disappoint, though.

Chas

Captain Lyerly
Comanding Officer

Number of posts : 226
Flag : Belgium
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Arabella Cox, Ret Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:31 pm

I'm a retired Captain, and now a cartographer and time travel agent. I'm also the Navigator on the HMS Gryphon; time travel control being very useful with navigating and escaping.
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Arabella Cox, Ret Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Silas Morgan wrote:Yeah... but do you have one of these....?
We Can't All be Airship Captains - Page 4 NortonMarque
Sorry..... it got cropped a bit.......
Did you design this? or is there anywhere I could get a copy, as I'd like to do something like this for our Airship Crew?
ETA: Disregard, I found the link a few posts later. Thanks!!

Last edited by Captain Arabella Cox, Ret on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add more info)
powder monkey
powder monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  K. smithington Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:43 pm

You've never heard of the Aetherborne?!
You can't take my title away from me, I've been using it for over a year!
But I was thinking about the fact that everyone does want to be a captain.

"Who wants to be my Two-Sheds Cabin Boy?!"

Oh, but note I'm NOT A PIRATE!! We are a treasure hunting crew carrying on in the name of Brave Captain Alastair. What an awful man he was.
K. smithington
K. smithington
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 5
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-09-26

http://visigothique.etsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BaronPablo Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:58 am

Steampunk preacher, at your service!

I also happen to be the captain of a stolen airship, but most of my adventures take place in the Wild West and a steampunk-haven Texas, where I also do bureaucratic work as an official in the government.

BaronPablo
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 25
Location : The (formerly USS) Mallard, currently docked at San Antonio, TX
Registration date : 2008-09-16

http://myspace.com/heispablo

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Captain Arabella Cox, Ret wrote:I'm a retired Captain, and now a cartographer and time travel agent. I'm also the Navigator on the HMS Gryphon; time travel control being very useful with navigating and escaping.

Is there room aboard the HMS Gryphon for one more?
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-17

http://42cookies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Arabella Cox, Ret Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:59 pm

CaptZaphod wrote:
Captain Arabella Cox, Ret wrote:I'm a retired Captain, and now a cartographer and time travel agent. I'm also the Navigator on the HMS Gryphon; time travel control being very useful with navigating and escaping.

We hang around the Republic of California, in San Diego county, if you're this far south (or north/west/east). I am not the Captain of this vessal, merely the Navigator.
But stowaways can always find work aboard.
powder monkey
powder monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Captain Arabella Cox, Ret wrote:
CaptZaphod wrote:

We hang around the Republic of California, in San Diego county, if you're this far south (or north/west/east). I am not the Captain of this vessal, merely the Navigator.
But stowaways can always find work aboard.
Drat...wrong coast.
If you ever steer the vessel towards the right coast, don't be surprised if you need to adjust ballast.
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-17

http://42cookies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Eisenfaust Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:50 pm

KatarinaNavane wrote:Ah, more explorers, tinkerers, and gentlemen...
The engineers are a practical one, especially with all this gagetry around, but do we have any steampunk butchers, bakers, candlestick makers, printers, teachers, factory workers, tanners, fishermen, merchants, stockbrokers, lawyers?
There are certainly people on here with great skill in making clothes and the like, but does anyone actually take on the persona of tailors, cobblers, and milliners? And why not?

I'm still a rebellious youth, I'll eventually stop traveling and settle down to be a jeweler, most likely.

(and my steampunk world is more likely to lean toward fantasy than toward scifi)

I may fall into the upper end of what you are looking for madam. I am a travelling chef and guerilla brewmaster. I have explored the kitchens and alehouses of Europe, the Americas and the Far East in search of new flavors, exotic foods, and the elusive ambrosia of Ancient Greece. While I have dabbled in such sciences as alchemy, engineering, and botany; it has all been in pursuit of gastronomical frontiers. My search has lead me to darkest Africa for unknown beasts and into the jungles Imperial India for mysterious spices.
Eisenfaust
Eisenfaust

Number of posts : 3
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Von Hellbent Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:36 am

Max Von Hellbent,

V.I.C. (Villain In Charge) of the Airship, Fallen Angel.

More or less residing within the "universe" of Crimson Skies. But spends most of his down time in the Aether regions, plundering mostly exploration ships or releiving other pirates of "ballast" in order to help them with any damage they may have incurred while making the aquaintence of those who do not right fancy our line of work...

(Cuz ya gotta have a good villain for a good story)

Max Von Hellbent
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Kedric Tue May 05, 2009 4:43 am

Kedric "Vinnie" Varangia. Farmer and tanner, you've all got to get your leather straps somewhere...

Vinnie also has a penchant for guns of all sorts, and is constantly experimenting with bullets and explosives, good use comes of it in the many raids by the prussian army. Each farmer is responsible for their own defense, owning a considerable armory is a matter of life and death. Unfortunately Vinnie is quite a bit of a pauper, wasting most of his money on strange devices and experiments. Not that tanning and farming makes a lot of money in the first place. The allure of the emerald mines is so much that Vinnie often risks life and limb to brave the treacherous caverns in search of the valuble jewels. IT wont be long before he dies a bloody death at this rate.
Kedric
Kedric
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 14
Flag : Antarctica
Registration date : 2009-05-04

http://Varangia.tk

Back to top Go down

Post  Otto Von Pifka Tue May 05, 2009 5:28 am

Darn, I can't be the captain?

my costume and persona are both slowly coming together. A mercenary airship officer in the employ of the Ottoman empire. age has brought wisdom and technical savy, but at a price!
while he spends more time telling the crew what to do, he could jump in at any position and take over seamlessly. He follows his orders to the letter and expects the same of his subordinates. He won't stand out at a fancy ball or a military parade, but when the ordinance begins to fly, he's the one who stands out among his peers.

that would explain all the scars. Wink

RL, I tend to live the mad scientist role almost too well.

nothing like handing a raygun to someone and telling them "be careful, it's loaded"
especially when they know me well enough to think it might just be deadly to pull the trigger!

Otto Von Pifka
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4