Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

PROBLEM WITH FORUM FOR TWO MONTHS

4 posters

Go down

PROBLEM WITH FORUM FOR TWO MONTHS Empty PROBLEM WITH FORUM FOR TWO MONTHS

Post  RockyB Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:37 pm

For the last two months there has not been a single application to join The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles.

That's not a single GENUINE request nor a single SPAM application.

This would seem to indicate a technical problem as there's NEVER been a sustained period without applications as far as I know in the last 11 years.

I have tried to do the Brass Tech Twitter but received no reply.
Somebody with Proteus' email has tried to contact him with no reply.
I have tried to email the address associated with my monthly $3 support donation again with no reply.

If anybody reads this who has direct contact with the owners or technicians for the main Forum could get them to visit the Forum and check it out we would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Rockula.
RockyB
RockyB
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2014-10-26

Back to top Go down

PROBLEM WITH FORUM FOR TWO MONTHS Empty Re: PROBLEM WITH FORUM FOR TWO MONTHS

Post  RockyB Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:17 pm

Looks like it's dead for good this time. Sad
RockyB
RockyB
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2014-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  mwbaaailey Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:49 pm

You never know. It might just be up again in a few hours. Hope Springs eternal, in any case. Please pardon the cliche's Wink
mwbaaailey
mwbaaailey
Bosun

Number of posts : 184
Flag : United States
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:49 am

I don't feel dead yet. My problem is making people in BG be able to communicate. I left enough clues on Rockula's thread but only the older member will remember this place. Also even fewer will remember @brasstech on Twitter. The automated (?) message reads that a power failure led to hardware failure...
https://twitter.com/brasstech/status/1188993114263961600?s=19
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  mwbaaailey Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:47 pm

J. Wilhelm wrote:I don't feel dead yet. My problem is making people in BG be able to communicate. I left enough clues on Rockula's thread but only the older member will remember this place. Also even fewer will remember @brasstech on Twitter. The automated (?) message reads that a power failure led to hardware failure...
https://twitter.com/brasstech/status/1188993114263961600?s=19

Seems to me that kind of terse messaging on Brasstech are about all one should expect, since according to the way I seem to remember Prometheus posting about it, it's really just a tech issue message post type of thing.

Whether or not it's automated? I seem to remember P. sayingthat they would be posting to it, but I may be misremembering. It's been more than two years since I saw that.
mwbaaailey
mwbaaailey
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  proteus Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:01 pm

No, the BG Forum is not dead. Yes, I know (now) that there has been an issue with sending reg confirmation emails -- we got flagged as spammers.

I'm genuinely sorry that it took me so long to notice. BG can only be a spare-time project for me, and sometimes I am quite short on spare time, what with 55-hour work weeks, 50% travel, and ill family members to care for in my limited non-work time. I'm sorry I missed attempts at communication; the email address associated with BG literally gets thousands of messages a day, and sometimes I miss things.

I appreciate that people are passionate about the forum's health and utility, some few even enough to contribute financially. That said, there's no call for proclamations of doom or freakouts about a lack of service. I do the best I can with limited resources, and carry more than 2/3 the financial cost and all of the server and forum maintenance on my own, and have done so for over 10 years. So while I understand the frustration when the forum has problems, all the freakouts and complaints accomplish is making me want to throw the forum in read-only mode and cut my costs by 90%.

proteus
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:49 am

For my part, and whatever is worth, I'm grateful for the forum you've maintained for so long, and I do get where you come from. I don't actually know how this forum got started though, I only came in 2009 Smile But if there's one thing I know is that most Steampunks have to work hard for their money and have "real lives" behind the screen. I have yet to meet the millionaire Steampunk who is living a life of leisure, just spending all his money on props, travel and costuming.

I don't think that the forum itself is all we are. I see the forum more like a physical venue where like minded people come to have fun and make friends. So my approach to the problem (being a relatively non IT technical person myself) is to look for alternative ways to maintain communication between the members when we have an event like this - and should the time come when the specific venue with its current software and server is no longer viable, for whatever reason. For now, we have this spare forum and if we really want to we can even communicate via Twitter and Facebook, but I don't think too many people even thought about it.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  mwbaaailey Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:17 am

proteus wrote:No, the BG Forum is not dead. Yes, I know (now) that there has been an issue with sending reg confirmation emails -- we got flagged as spammers.

I'm genuinely sorry that it took me so long to notice. BG can only be a spare-time project for me, and sometimes I am quite short on spare time, what with 55-hour work weeks, 50% travel, and ill family members to care for in my limited non-work time. I'm sorry I missed attempts at communication; the email address associated with BG literally gets thousands of messages a day, and sometimes I miss things.

I appreciate that people are passionate about the forum's health and utility, some few even enough to contribute financially. That said, there's no call for proclamations of doom or freakouts about a lack of service. I do the best I can with limited resources, and carry more than 2/3 the financial cost and all of the server and forum maintenance on my own, and have done so for over 10 years. So while I understand the frustration when the forum has problems, all the freakouts and complaints accomplish is making me want to throw the forum in read-only mode and cut my costs by 90%.

Thanks for all  your had work, and sorry  that I keep getting your name wrong (it's been what, 10 years now? I'm starting to think  that I have "Early Alzheimer's"; Nothing else seems to fit Wink ).

Here's prayers for you and yours, and reassurance that we (most of us anyway Wink ) do understand.

I both agree and disagree with the Admiral's assertion that BG is not all that we are; It both is and isn't, in my view. Yes, that's a logical impossibility, but Humankind are not truly a logical species, for all that we pretend to be thus (a logical person would accept the general "normo" opinion that prevails in the outside world, that opinion being that SteamPunk has had it's heighday, and move on; ninety percent of us, however, have yet so to do! I for one look forward to yet another "uprising," so to speak, in the future...).
mwbaaailey
mwbaaailey
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down