Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» cloth-wrapped USB Cables
by Keith_Beef Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:23 pm

» IMPORTANT: IT SEZ HERE ...
by Keith_Beef Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:08 am

» Spare thingies...
by LordPentecost Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:20 pm

» 9:30 PM MDT Is BG down again?
by prof marvel Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:32 am

» New Administrator
by SeVeNeVeS Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:18 pm

» Another problem
by Ottens Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:42 pm

» Return to the Clocktower...
by Mercury Wells Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:28 am

» We seem to be down again
by Mercury Wells Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:23 am

» PROBLEM WITH FORUM FOR TWO MONTHS
by mwbaaailey Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:17 am

» BG Is Back Up
by RockyB Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:41 pm

» BG down yet again?
by mwbaaailey Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:20 pm

» Here we go again?
by RockyB Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:17 pm

» About to go into battle
by rovingjack Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:13 am

» How was your day thread (continued)
by rovingjack Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:44 am

» Spare goggles Exploration Journal entries
by rovingjack Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:30 am

» Is BG Down Again?
by GCCC Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:33 pm

» Things to do while Brassgoggles is down
by GCCC Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:28 pm

» Van living, fulltime RV
by rovingjack Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:36 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 712 registered users
The newest registered user is LordPentecost

Our users have posted a total of 7682 messages in 667 subjects

PROBLEM WITH FORUM FOR TWO MONTHS

Go down

PROBLEM WITH FORUM FOR TWO MONTHS Empty PROBLEM WITH FORUM FOR TWO MONTHS

Post  RockyB on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:37 pm

For the last two months there has not been a single application to join The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles.

That's not a single GENUINE request nor a single SPAM application.

This would seem to indicate a technical problem as there's NEVER been a sustained period without applications as far as I know in the last 11 years.

I have tried to do the Brass Tech Twitter but received no reply.
Somebody with Proteus' email has tried to contact him with no reply.
I have tried to email the address associated with my monthly $3 support donation again with no reply.

If anybody reads this who has direct contact with the owners or technicians for the main Forum could get them to visit the Forum and check it out we would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Rockula.

RockyB
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2014-10-26

Back to top Go down

PROBLEM WITH FORUM FOR TWO MONTHS Empty Re: PROBLEM WITH FORUM FOR TWO MONTHS

Post  RockyB on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:17 pm

Looks like it's dead for good this time. Sad

RockyB
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2014-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  mwbaaailey on Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:49 pm

You never know. It might just be up again in a few hours. Hope Springs eternal, in any case. Please pardon the cliche's Wink
mwbaaailey
mwbaaailey
officer
officer

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:49 am

I don't feel dead yet. My problem is making people in BG be able to communicate. I left enough clues on Rockula's thread but only the older member will remember this place. Also even fewer will remember @brasstech on Twitter. The automated (?) message reads that a power failure led to hardware failure...
https://twitter.com/brasstech/status/1188993114263961600?s=19
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  mwbaaailey on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:47 pm

J. Wilhelm wrote:I don't feel dead yet. My problem is making people in BG be able to communicate. I left enough clues on Rockula's thread but only the older member will remember this place. Also even fewer will remember @brasstech on Twitter. The automated (?) message reads that a power failure led to hardware failure...
https://twitter.com/brasstech/status/1188993114263961600?s=19

Seems to me that kind of terse messaging on Brasstech are about all one should expect, since according to the way I seem to remember Prometheus posting about it, it's really just a tech issue message post type of thing.

Whether or not it's automated? I seem to remember P. sayingthat they would be posting to it, but I may be misremembering. It's been more than two years since I saw that.
mwbaaailey
mwbaaailey
officer
officer

Back to top Go down

Post  proteus on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:01 pm

No, the BG Forum is not dead. Yes, I know (now) that there has been an issue with sending reg confirmation emails -- we got flagged as spammers.

I'm genuinely sorry that it took me so long to notice. BG can only be a spare-time project for me, and sometimes I am quite short on spare time, what with 55-hour work weeks, 50% travel, and ill family members to care for in my limited non-work time. I'm sorry I missed attempts at communication; the email address associated with BG literally gets thousands of messages a day, and sometimes I miss things.

I appreciate that people are passionate about the forum's health and utility, some few even enough to contribute financially. That said, there's no call for proclamations of doom or freakouts about a lack of service. I do the best I can with limited resources, and carry more than 2/3 the financial cost and all of the server and forum maintenance on my own, and have done so for over 10 years. So while I understand the frustration when the forum has problems, all the freakouts and complaints accomplish is making me want to throw the forum in read-only mode and cut my costs by 90%.

proteus
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm on Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:49 am

For my part, and whatever is worth, I'm grateful for the forum you've maintained for so long, and I do get where you come from. I don't actually know how this forum got started though, I only came in 2009 Smile But if there's one thing I know is that most Steampunks have to work hard for their money and have "real lives" behind the screen. I have yet to meet the millionaire Steampunk who is living a life of leisure, just spending all his money on props, travel and costuming.

I don't think that the forum itself is all we are. I see the forum more like a physical venue where like minded people come to have fun and make friends. So my approach to the problem (being a relatively non IT technical person myself) is to look for alternative ways to maintain communication between the members when we have an event like this - and should the time come when the specific venue with its current software and server is no longer viable, for whatever reason. For now, we have this spare forum and if we really want to we can even communicate via Twitter and Facebook, but I don't think too many people even thought about it.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  mwbaaailey on Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:17 am

proteus wrote:No, the BG Forum is not dead. Yes, I know (now) that there has been an issue with sending reg confirmation emails -- we got flagged as spammers.

I'm genuinely sorry that it took me so long to notice. BG can only be a spare-time project for me, and sometimes I am quite short on spare time, what with 55-hour work weeks, 50% travel, and ill family members to care for in my limited non-work time. I'm sorry I missed attempts at communication; the email address associated with BG literally gets thousands of messages a day, and sometimes I miss things.

I appreciate that people are passionate about the forum's health and utility, some few even enough to contribute financially. That said, there's no call for proclamations of doom or freakouts about a lack of service. I do the best I can with limited resources, and carry more than 2/3 the financial cost and all of the server and forum maintenance on my own, and have done so for over 10 years. So while I understand the frustration when the forum has problems, all the freakouts and complaints accomplish is making me want to throw the forum in read-only mode and cut my costs by 90%.

Thanks for all  your had work, and sorry  that I keep getting your name wrong (it's been what, 10 years now? I'm starting to think  that I have "Early Alzheimer's"; Nothing else seems to fit Wink ).

Here's prayers for you and yours, and reassurance that we (most of us anyway Wink ) do understand.

I both agree and disagree with the Admiral's assertion that BG is not all that we are; It both is and isn't, in my view. Yes, that's a logical impossibility, but Humankind are not truly a logical species, for all that we pretend to be thus (a logical person would accept the general "normo" opinion that prevails in the outside world, that opinion being that SteamPunk has had it's heighday, and move on; ninety percent of us, however, have yet so to do! I for one look forward to yet another "uprising," so to speak, in the future...).
mwbaaailey
mwbaaailey
officer
officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down