Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:00 pm

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

» OoOops! New Email Addy
by mwbaaailey Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:46 am

» Experimenting with RSS feed
by J. Wilhelm Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:46 am

» Where's My Flag?
by von Corax Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:28 pm

» I concurr with you folks
by prof marvel Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:09 am

» Bicycles: new, Old, Casual, Serious. Discuss
by John Zybourne Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:53 am

» We should stop posting on Brass Goggles and migrate
by J. Wilhelm Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:57 pm

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 726 registered users
The newest registered user is Acetranger

Our users have posted a total of 8185 messages in 702 subjects

New member introduction thread.

+112
Miles (a sailor)Martin
mwbaaailey
Tinker
gmjhowe
LizerSparkes
Birdnest Annex
outflyer_calliope
Grumfoss
Capt. Dirigible Mk II
Trillian Xtra
mwbaailey
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Xenos
MWBrantley
vela
sevenlies
auntie ludmilla
AutumnRose
Helios
Lawrence Rogue
Capt. James Elliot
Eisenfaust
Torvald_Faust
hatstand
Bryce A. Lynch
Karl Heinz
Haizea
hellparadiso
E. Mooncat Esq.
Sneath
T.T.
Razz Sinewave
Armotag
Buford Mathias Esq. FRS
techdragon
Jaqhama
5.6. Kaboom
Paul8v
Augustus Philpott
Miss Aetherly
Captain Arabella Cox, Ret
Captain Lyerly
Dandeliondream
Cyril Fotheringay-Phipps
clairdelune
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
T.Taylor the Third
Angus McCarthy
S. H. Cannon
Master Murdoch
LimeBerry
Thaif
KatarinaNavane
libelandslander
watson_scavenger
Lady Penelope
The Juxt
stormfeather
Abraxas
CaptZaphod
Dr Quack
The Kernel
Wolfie
Nikola Tesla
Mr. Fenn
girl1919
Kabuki
Cookie_Katt
Smaggers
MaggotyAnne
Horse Brass
ms_boo_dreadful
Earl Levi Halvorsen
KinoOmega
Dax
Crimson Nocturn
The V.A.P.
Hepzibah
Ezra Fersythe
lilibat
Samuel Teague
Em
JingleJoe
markf
Zwack
Victoria The Mistress
Pinktutu
Dr. Oliver Cross
Tanuki
Captain McCannon
dman762000
Rowan of Rin
miimno
Mad Maxine
Jemima Annabelle Clough
GarethG
Orlando
Kirsty
neon_suntan
Administrator
Gadd
emmeline_x
Gazongola
Siliconous Skumins
James Harrison
Herr Döktor
Ella Kremper
Mrs. Sullivan
Captain Dave Hawker
Plum
OldProfessorBear
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
116 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

New member introduction thread. - Page 7 Empty Re: New member introduction thread.

Post  Rob Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:22 pm

I'm here too, mostly lurking.

Rob

Back to top Go down

New member introduction thread. - Page 7 Empty Re: New member introduction thread.

Post  jcmRob Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Aha, if anyone else is lurking and hasn’t got round to signing up then I can tell you it's possible to post without signing up.
You only a few chars for your name, and you have to answer a capcha when you post, but it does mean you can say hello. . .
….
And I guess you could pretend to be someone else if you were feeling pesky.

jcmRob

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Dirigible Mk II Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Aha, if anyone else is lurking and hasn’t got round to signing up then I can tell you it's possible to post without signing up.

Not really the spirit we're trying to encourage but welcome all the same.

Capt. Dirigible Mk II
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 11
Location : London, you know..fish, chips, cup o' tea, bad weather, worse food, Mary f*ckin' Poppins...LONDON!
Flag : Earth
Registration date : 2010-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  jcmRob Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:28 pm

I'm in a situation that means I can't sign up right now, because I don't have access to my personal email to confirm the sign up.
But, the guest access means I can still join in.

Others may be in the same situation. Smile

jcmRob

Back to top Go down

Post  A. Crow Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Or a similar situation. I tried to sign up a few days ago, and still haven't received the email confirmation. So, until it shows up, or the site lets me try to sign up again, this is all I've got.

A. Crow

Back to top Go down

Post  mwbaaailey Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:24 am

Not new, just couldn't get to the email specified to reset my password, so I opened a new username with my gmail account. (Damned Yahoo email service.. Mad .).

I don't suppose I could get a Mod to erase the old one, could I?
mwbaaailey
mwbaaailey
Bosun

Number of posts : 184
Flag : United States
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Miles (a sailor)Martin Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Miles here. bit of a letdown to see my rank as Powder monkey here ,but as it is time driven it will improve i'm sure.

Miles (a sailor)Martin
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

New member introduction thread. - Page 7 Empty Hello from Pennsylvania

Post  Avalon Skyboat Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:37 am

Hey there everyone at Spare Goggles! My name is Doug and I'm fairly new to the world of steampunk. I actually joined the Brass Goggles forum a few days ago and then learned that the action has migrated over here to SG, so here I am.

I'm currently 28 years old and reside in Northwestern Pennsylvania, United States. I've always held an interest in airships and live steam, so it seems logical that I'd explore this magical world of steampunkery! I wish I could say that I'm creative, but I'm afraid I'm a bit more left brain dominant. However, I really appreciate all the creative endeavors that I've seen in the short while I've been exploring the steampunk culture.

Looking forward to getting to know this community! ~ Doug
Avalon Skyboat
Avalon Skyboat
crewhand
crewhand

Registration date : 2022-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorontar Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:46 am

Welcome to Spare Goggles, Doug/Avalon. Avalon Skyboat is a very apt steampunk name. Avalon is the location of an airport here in Australia!

And well done for the ultimate (and quite okay) thread necro ... This thread is well worth reviving.

Sorontar
Sorontar
Sorontar
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 45
Flag : Australia
Registration date : 2010-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalon Skyboat Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:09 am

Sorontar wrote:Welcome to Spare Goggles, Doug/Avalon. Avalon Skyboat is a very apt steampunk name. Avalon is the location of an airport here in Australia!

And well done for the ultimate (and quite okay) thread necro ... This thread is well worth reviving.

Sorontar

Thanks for the welcome Sorontar!

So I was under the impression this forum was established only recently. Obviously not the case because I see posts dating back to at least '08 / '09. I guess Brass Goggles has been having issues for a while then.
Avalon Skyboat
Avalon Skyboat
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:24 am

Avalon Skyboat wrote:
Sorontar wrote:Welcome to Spare Goggles, Doug/Avalon. Avalon Skyboat is a very apt steampunk name. Avalon is the location of an airport here in Australia!

Sorontar

So I was under the impression this forum was established only recently. Obviously not the case because I see posts dating back to at least '08 / '09. I guess Brass Goggles has been having issues for a while then.

Oh no, Spare Goggles is not new at all. I knew it since I joined BG in 09. Brassgoggles is actually a bit older than SG, but I'm not exactly sure by how many years. Maybe someone knows the inception date difference.

BTW There's a lot of left brained people here too. We have an abundance of engineering graduates. I'm Aerospace, we had a metal sculptor who was a mechanical engineering, and so on. Being technically savvy is in a way a requirement for what essentially is an Industrial Revolution Folklore Movement. I think that's another way to refer to Steampunk. One of our members (I don't know if he's still alive, used to work with locomotives.

You should look at the Meta Clubs subsection in "Metaphysical" over at Brassgoggles. I have a "club" called "The Guild of Icarus." There's plenty of groups including watch and clock mechanism enthusiasts, and a guild of beer brewers as well. Some of our members (in particular Mr James Harrison, I believe he's an architect (correct me if I'm wrong) are locomotive enthusiasts. Maybe you can join in the discussions revolving around that particular interest.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalon Skyboat Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:37 am

J. Wilhelm wrote:
Oh no, Spare Goggles is not new at all. I knew it since I joined BG in 09. Brassgoggles is actually a bit older than SG, but I'm not exactly sure by how many years. Maybe someone knows the inception date difference.

BTW There's a lot of left brained people here too. We have an abundance of engineering graduates. I'm Aerospace, we had a metal sculptor who was a mechanical engineering, and so on.  Being technically savvy is in a way a requirement for what essentially is an Industrial Revolution Folklore Movement. I think that's another way to refer to Steampunk.

Oh really? Okay so there's some deep history here too. Hey that's cool! Obviously lots to read here... already been enjoying skimming the various topics.

That's cool that this community has a good mix of artistic types and mechanical types. Obviously the best of us are those who are both, lol (definitely not me though!).
Avalon Skyboat
Avalon Skyboat
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:38 am

Avalon Skyboat wrote:

Sorontar

Tinkergirl (the Founder) registered at Brass Goggles in February 2007, and I believe it was Pheobsky who set up SG in September 2008.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 181
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalon Skyboat Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:22 am

von Corax wrote:
Tinkergirl (the Founder) registered at Brass Goggles in February 2007, and I believe it was Pheobsky who set up SG in September 2008.

Fascinating board history, thanks for cluing me in von Corax. In September, 2008 I was a freshman in high school. Yet It seems like only yesterday. Damn how time flies.
Avalon Skyboat
Avalon Skyboat
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:29 am

Welcome aboard, Avalon! BG's sails may be afire, but she's still afloat. Wouldn't say she's sunk quite yet (i.e. the action's moved here--though having an account here *is* the prudent thing to do, just in case).

And to add on to J. Wilhelm's bit about the lot of us what are engineers, I'm a former electrical engineer turned electrician (until my body gave out), so aye, at times it feels like the job lot of us here have *some* kind of knowhow on the workings of, as my mate puts it "The Arcane Sciences (i.e. engineering of some form)."
Xenos
Xenos
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 41
Flag : Sudan
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:28 pm

Xenos wrote:Welcome aboard, Avalon! BG's sails may be afire, but she's still afloat. Wouldn't say she's sunk quite yet (i.e. the action's moved here--though having an account here *is* the prudent thing to do, just in case).

And to add on to J. Wilhelm's bit about the lot of us what are engineers, I'm a former electrical engineer turned electrician (until my body gave out), so aye, at times it feels like the job lot of us here have *some* kind of knowhow on the workings of, as my mate puts it "The Arcane Sciences (i.e. engineering of some form)."

Let's just say it this way. You need brains and a willingness to get your hands dirty. Like constantly being on the experimental side of science, the way it was done over a century ago. The Victorian aesthetic flows naturally from building everything yourself.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:17 am

Xenos wrote:Welcome aboard, Avalon! BG's sails may be afire, but she's still afloat. Wouldn't say she's sunk quite yet (i.e. the action's moved here--though having an account here *is* the prudent thing to do, just in case).

Thanks for the welcome Xenos!

I can't deny that IMO 'Brass Goggles' has a better ring to it than 'Spare Goggles' but yeah it sure is nice to have a lifeboat of sorts when the BG is having issues.

I'm so relieved to hear that there are engineers and builders in this crowd as well as the creative types. I'm not actually any sort of engineer, but I enjoy building things. Some of my family refer to me as an 'inventor' but the inaccuracy bugs me because truth is, I couldn't invent my way out of a paper bag! Improvise maybe, but not invent. I enjoy building things but for the most part I really need drawings, plans, a manual, etc. to visualize assembly.

A pleasure to make your acquaintance Xenos.
Avalon Skyboat
Avalon Skyboat
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

J. Wilhelm wrote:

Let's just say it this way. You need brains and a willingness to get your hands dirty. Like constantly being on the experimental side of science, the way it was done over a century ago. The Victorian aesthetic flows naturally from building everything yourself.

I really appreciate the DIY mentality. And you're exactly right J., this can be considered the 'authentic' steampunk way because it's the same mentality possessed by the true creators and inventors of the time.
Avalon Skyboat
Avalon Skyboat
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7