Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:55 pm

» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8211 messages in 708 subjects

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings.

+2
J. Wilhelm
Mercury Wells
6 posters

Go down

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. Empty Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings.

Post  Mercury Wells Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:51 pm

The story of Gower's remote lighthouse that's the only one of its kind left in the UK.

Located at Whiteford Point on the north west of the Gower Peninsula, a 61 foot tall, cast-iron lighthouse tower stands promptly in the middle of the sea.

The historic Whiteford Lighthouse, stands just above low-water level as is the only one of its kind left in Britain.

The lighthouse was last in use in 1933, but now can be found as a strong Welsh landmark.

Read more: Every Gower bay, where it is and how to get there - including the ones you might not have heard of

This piece of history was constructed by the Llanelli Harbour and Burry Navigation Commissioners in 1865 to mark the south side of the channel to the port of Llanelli, replacing an earlier wooden structure built in 1854.

The first known cast-iron British lighthouse was at Swansea Harbour and was built in 1803, the architect was William Jernegan, and the plates were cast at the Neath Abbey Ironworks.

The cast iron lighthouse is believed to be the last remaining cast iron lighthouse found in Britain.
(c) WoL '21.

Mercury Wells
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-06-23

Back to top Go down

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. Empty Re: Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings.

Post  J. Wilhelm Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:37 pm

Do we need to have a separate thread for non-extant buildings? On the other hand, I've had a better opportunity to walk downtown (I'm trying to avoid bus rides with lots of students), and in order to get to a fairly unpopulated bus route, I have to walk to the very heart of downtown, around 6th street and past some Victorian homes. I hope to start posting soon.

I'd like to start publishing the pictures on Twitter (same as I always do) but copying them basing on Pinterest, and then linking from Pinterest to this forum . It would pull people to this forum and would be much easier to copy and paste the links over to Brassgoggles if we ever get it back.

The only thing is that I'm seeing my pictures cropped and off center on this forum. Does someone know the proper format (size) or equivalent formatting code for this platform?

This picture I snapped on my camera, below for example, looks heavily cropped and off center. I'm not quite sure what the maximum size or ratio is for this forum. Can you use the [size] [/size] script?

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FH5PdSaWYAQ8sQZ?format=jpg&name=medium
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Number of posts : 162
Flag : United States
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. Empty Re: Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings.

Post  von Corax Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:25 pm

J. Wilhelm wrote:The only thing is that I'm seeing my pictures cropped and off center on this forum. Does someone know the proper format (size) or equivalent formatting code for this platform?

This picture I snapped on my camera, below for example, looks heavily cropped and off center. I'm not quite sure what the maximum size or ratio is for this forum. Can you use the   script?

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FH5PdSaWYAQ8sQZ?format=jpg&name=medium
Can't see the image.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 199
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:38 am

It's funny,I can see your quote and the image embedded in it! Do you see the image URL when you quote my post?

Anyone else not able to see the photo above?

And how about James' restoration thread. Can you see those pictures?

EDIT: And to make things more interesting, I just copied the thread URL to another web browser (chrome) without logging into the forum, and now I can see the full size image uncropped.

J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  SeVeNeVeS Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:34 am

I can see all images in both threads, logged in or out using Firefox.
SeVeNeVeS
SeVeNeVeS
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 55
Flag : England
Registration date : 2014-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:29 am

SeVeNeVeS wrote:I can see all images in both threads, logged in or out using Firefox.

That's good to hear. I was about to use another computer to check.

There's a button below the text box that allows the poster to turn off BBCode. I'm wondering if that could be causing problem for Von Corax, if inadvertently deactivated.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:51 pm

J. Wilhelm wrote:It's funny,I can see your quote and the image embedded in it! Do you see the image URL when you quote my post?

EDIT: And to make things more interesting, I just copied the thread URL to another web browser (chrome) without logging into the forum, and now I can see the full size image uncropped.

I can see the pics in James' thread, but not yours. Here I see the text "Post a reply FH5PdSaWYAQ8sQZ?format=jpg&name=medium", but I can't select it as text. BBCode is not disabled for me.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorontar Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:59 pm

von Corax wrote:
I can see the pics in James' thread, but not yours. Here I see the text "Post a reply FH5PdSaWYAQ8sQZ?format=jpg&name=medium", but I can't select it as text. BBCode is not disabled for me.
I can't see any pictures but that is normally because I disallow third-party input into any webpage I visit, so if the image is embedded from another site, I often can't see it (happens a lot when news reports embed Tweets to quote them). However, if this is a common problem for SpareGoggles, perhaps there is a quota on how much it allows per day. Are the images hosted here or externally?

Sorontar
Sorontar
Sorontar
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 47
Flag : Australia
Registration date : 2010-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  SeVeNeVeS Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:09 pm

I had the same sort of problem on BG a while back, couldn't see images from twitter or facebook.

The image JW posted is from twitter by the looks of it.

James' are uploaded to flickr

To get over it I set security in my browser (Firefox) to standard.

Maybe try that? Dunno.

https://sparegoggles.forumotion.net/t248-picture-sizes
SeVeNeVeS
SeVeNeVeS
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:54 pm

von Corax wrote:
J. Wilhelm wrote:It's funny,I can see your quote and the image embedded in it! Do you see the image URL when you quote my post?

The URL reads "https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FH5PdSaWYAQ8sQZ?format=jpg&name=medium" to me and presumably Seven.

And in your case some code replaced it with "Post a reply FH5PdSaWYAQ8sQZ?format=jpg&name=medium" ... Interesting. Wouldn't"Post a Reply" indicate intervention by the forum's code?
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:50 am

Moving on, I have got a couple of pictures to show. All were taken during my walk en route to the bus stop on 6th Street, Downtown Austin.

I'll start with The Flower Hill Urban Homestead Museum

The homestead was built by the Smoot Family, who were prominent civil servants and philanthropists who arrived in Austin sometime after 1877

https://www.flowerhillfoundation.org/

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FIYqBF2XsAQ5V7J?format=jpg&name=large

The video below gives a history of the Smoot family who owned it, with sundry historical photographs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=opTKxAmhGxo
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  SeVeNeVeS Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:00 pm

I will see if we can embed youtube................

Last edited by SeVeNeVeS on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeVeNeVeS
SeVeNeVeS
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  SeVeNeVeS Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:02 pm

J. Wilhelm wrote:Moving on, I have got a couple of pictures to show. All were taken during my walk en route to the bus stop on 6th Street, Downtown Austin.

I'll start with The Flower Hill Urban Homestead Museum

The homestead was built by the Smoot Family, who were prominent civil servants and philanthropists who arrived in Austin sometime after 1877

https://www.flowerhillfoundation.org/

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FIYqBF2XsAQ5V7J?format=jpg&name=large

The video below gives a history of the Smoot family who owned it, with sundry historical photographs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=opTKxAmhGxo

That's a yep, then Smile
SeVeNeVeS
SeVeNeVeS
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:37 pm

Today I got stranded on Guadalupe Street, so I had to trek south to 6th Street to catch another route to get to work, and I got a chance to get close to the historical block of houses, which includes the John Bremond House, which I had photographed before. I also took snapshots of 4 other Victorian homes on the same block. Sadly, all the block is in the permanent shadow of a monstrously large building on 6th Street.

After I finish work, I'll post today's pictures and others I took a couple of days ago.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  Synistor 303 Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:56 am

J. Wilhelm wrote:Today I got stranded on Guadalupe Street, so I had to trek south to 6th Street to catch another route to get to work, and I got a chance to get close to the historical block of houses, which includes the John Bremond House, which I had photographed before. I also took snapshots of 4 other Victorian homes on the same block. Sadly,  all the block is in the permanent shadow of a monstrously large building on 6th Street.

After I finish work, I'll post today's pictures and others I took a couple of days ago.

And could you explain to those of us who don't know, how to post a photo, please!
Synistor 303
Synistor 303
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2020-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:55 am

Synistor 303 wrote:
J. Wilhelm wrote:Today I got stranded on Guadalupe Street, so I had to trek south to 6th Street to catch another route to get to work, and I got a chance to get close to the historical block of houses, which includes the John Bremond House, which I had photographed before. I also took snapshots of 4 other Victorian homes on the same block. Sadly,  all the block is in the permanent shadow of a monstrously large building on 6th Street.

And could you explain to those of us who don't know, how to post a photo, please!

Start by finding the URL for the image in whichever image server you're using (I post on Twitter, then copy the URL, in this case for the image below assume it's https://imageURL.jpg) and then add the following commands in brackets like so:

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FIeFnDxWUAIp8c-?format=jpg&name=large

(For some reason Firefox/Mozilla is cropping the picture above, you can see it whole in Chrome)

Now for YouTube videos the procedure is different. You just find the video code in the URL and put it inside the following bracketed commands...Look at the picture below

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FIeFvadWYAA1V9R?format=jpg&name=large
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:27 am

The historical centre hill contains a hill bordered by San Antonio Street and 7th Street. On It are at least 4 Victorian homes, out of which the most prominent is the John Bremond House. The backside of the house, where you can find the fire escape ladders is facing North, and the front of all the houses have now their view blocked by a monstrosity of a building that's still in construction. It's sad to see all these houses live in a permanent shadow. The new building is very tall.

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FIeNMpdXMAAGAix?format=jpg&name=large

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FIeNCcGWUAEoZpZ?format=jpg&name=large

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FIeNGPnXIAM6CYh?format=jpg&name=large

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FIeNUjrXEAEeMMJ?format=jpg&name=large

I'll continue posting pictures. Manually typing the embed commands is a bit cumbersome, so not quite as fast as the BG forum...
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:57 pm

Here's two more Victorian homes on the historical block of Seventh Street and San Antonio Street

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FIgQhy1WQAIzaX-?format=jpg&name=large

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FIgQj9wXoAgrglD?format=jpg&name=large

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FIgQidIWYAIfOef?format=jpg&name=large

These homes don't have names or references,save for the first one. The second one (2nd, 3rd pics) is actually owned by a law firm. A common fate of Victorian homes that survived downtown.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:25 pm

While the Z' Tejas restaurant chain in Austin closed it's northwest location during the pandemic, they kept their older location on 6th Street. They bought two old houses, one of them Victorian, and built a "bridge" between them to make a restaurant. The front has a mural that looks like "Willie Nelson's Last Supper"

(Note: Mozilla Firefox may crop the images under certain settings)

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FImv_VBWUAcI3cE?format=jpg&name=large

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FImwB4YXMAEC-t4?format=jpg&name=large

Temporary home for Steampunk Buildings. FImwDRsXwAYPvZq?format=jpg&name=large
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:26 pm

That giant building in front of the Bremond and other Victorian houses above? Well, guess what? That'll be the tallest building in Austin at 66 floors, on the corner of 6th and Guadalupe. Those houses will never see sunlight again. And guess who just announced is going to rent the top ½ of the building. Meta...the parent company of Faceplant. Aaaargh!
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:37 am

von Corax wrote:

I've figured it out - Firefox considers https://pbs.twimg.com/media to be a hostile social-media tracker. I feel no need to disabuse it of this notion.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:02 am

Then it's your settings for security level. Firefox works fine for me in the "medium" level of Firefox.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down