Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:55 pm

» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8211 messages in 708 subjects

Hey, Kabar - what was that break-top revolver you showed on BG

2 posters

Go down

Hey, Kabar - what was that break-top revolver you showed on BG Empty Hey, Kabar - what was that break-top revolver you showed on BG

Post  Captain Lyerly Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:30 am

You had a Reichsrevolver, and a breaktop with a skull-crusher like the M&H revolvers - a 1914 something?

Found one that looks like I remember yours looking...

Thanks!

Chas.

Captain Lyerly
Comanding Officer

Number of posts : 226
Flag : Belgium
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Hey, Kabar - what was that break-top revolver you showed on BG Empty Re: Hey, Kabar - what was that break-top revolver you showed on BG

Post  Baron Rinehold Tredmore Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:52 am

Hey, Kabar - what was that break-top revolver you showed on BG 399921968

Hey, Kabar - what was that break-top revolver you showed on BG 399921969

Hey, Kabar - what was that break-top revolver you showed on BG 399921970

You mean this one? A Model 1914 Elbar 455 made for the British Army to fill the gap...
a Spanish copy of a Smith & Wesson Schofield with a Merwin and Hulbert skull crusher added.... Spain had an interesting patent law set up ... You could patent an item in Spain and the patent would be honored for two years.... if you built a factory in Spain
and produced your product your patent was protected.... if not it was up for copying
by anyone & everyone.....

** for some reason this forum doesn't scale the photos dow and bits get chopped off....**
Baron Rinehold Tredmore
Baron Rinehold Tredmore
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-10-23

Back to top Go down

Hey, Kabar - what was that break-top revolver you showed on BG Empty Re: Hey, Kabar - what was that break-top revolver you showed on BG

Post  Captain Lyerly Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:58 am

Perfecto! Muchas gracias, senor!

Oh - is it ELbar, or EIbar? I had recalled that it was Eibar. But I could be wrong, of course. I often am, just ask La Contessa!

Is .455 difficult to find?

Thanks!

Chas.

Captain Lyerly
Comanding Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Baron Rinehold Tredmore Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:05 am

Yeah I didn't have the gun in front of me at the time I may have miss-spelled it....

I have yet to shoot it, but I am suspecting that a multitude of cartridges may fit it....
I tried a 45 Long Colt and it fit...... But when I shoot it I'll go with 455.

455 is avalible....heres a couple of outfits that carry it...

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/pistol-ammo-455-webley

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/167595/fiocchi-ammunition-455-webley-mark-2-262-grain-lead-round-nose-box-of-50

Can you post a photo of the one you found?
Baron Rinehold Tredmore
Baron Rinehold Tredmore
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Lyerly Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:13 am

Sorry - I don't actually have it, it is going up for auction later this month, and I was wondering if it was worth bidding on. Live auction, of course, not on line; at their auction last year I picked up some real deals, including a derringer and a dress sword - Austrian, Imperial era - for La Contessa.

I also missed out on some other deals, mainly because I didn't know about it until the last minute. This time I want to be prepared with knowledge of what they have - and the real-world market. I know it is a chancy thing, even then; one of the things I got was an Ortgies (Deutche Werke) pocket pistol in 6.35, but I am having trouble getting it to function properly, and there were no guarantees, and no way to test it.

Cheers! And thanks!

Chas.

Captain Lyerly
Comanding Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Baron Rinehold Tredmore Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:48 am

Auctions are where I buy most of my stuff... look it over real well... many times you will find a hidden flaw you didn't spot because you gave it a quick once over.... that's when the "deal" costs money..... Get on the web and do searches educate yourself on prices don't get into heavy bidding wars I set a stopping point and rarely go past it....

Many times with the semi-autos the springs are weak.... there is an outfit called Wolf gun Springs buy a replacment set and see if it fixes the issues...

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=46

I had bought an artillery Luger last year and had it out this past may shooting it...
at first it was a single shot it would fire and almost go into battery with the next round
I oiled the heck out of it and after 5 or 6 magazines full it began to function like it was supposed to.... it probably hadn't been shot in 50-60 years and was so stiff in needed to be broken back in...
Baron Rinehold Tredmore
Baron Rinehold Tredmore
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Lyerly Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Right you are. The flaw in the little .25 - sentimental purchase, I had one when I was little more than a kid - would not have shown up without disassembly or actual firing, not something I could have done at the time.

I have been doing some web searches, of course, but I would not have been able to identify that revolver without your assistance, I must say. There are several other period items in their list that I may be interested in - one (or possibly two) P-08, a Forehand (and Wadsworth, I presume), several 1911s or clones, and an 1891. I don't think they have finished listing everything, they have listings with no pictures and pictures for things that aren't listed yet.

If I do win anything good, you can bet I will be posting - hopefully on BG.

Do you have any personal tips for live auctions? My own #1 rule is Earplugs! At several auctions I have attended, they have had the speakers turned up to damaging levels, evidently on purpose to keep people off balance. Much auction work is intended to induce artificial excitement, so I take frequent breaks when I can, and keep close notes on expected price ranges, price comparisons, and maximum bid zones. I also watch other bids carefully - if somebody bids at my absolute max, I can't bid again without going over that maximum, so I don't. I also figure in the buyer's premium (I hate that particular fiction) and any transfer costs when I set my max.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Chas.

Captain Lyerly
Comanding Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Baron Rinehold Tredmore Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Capt'n if you don't mind sharing the link (pm me) I promise as a gentelman not
to be bidding against you..... it would give me a better idea on the items you are looking at and I may be able to give you a better idea what a good peice and what
to stear clear of....
Baron Rinehold Tredmore
Baron Rinehold Tredmore
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Lyerly Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:01 pm

I don't mind sharing it at all; there isn't a lot showing yet, but I have picked out a few.

Stand by for the link

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Lyerly
Comanding Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down