Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

The Gaaaah! Thread. Chapter V: Murphy's Revenge

+2
von Corax
J. Wilhelm
6 posters

Go down

The Gaaaah! Thread. Chapter V: Murphy's Revenge Empty The Gaaaah! Thread. Chapter V: Murphy's Revenge

Post  J. Wilhelm Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:49 am

So... After weeks of experiencing temperatures better fit for a warm Spring, the climate has decided to snap back to Winter. In one night we're going to drop from 23 C at midnight to -2 C by 6 am. At least we won't have a snow storm.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Number of posts : 162
Flag : United States
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

The Gaaaah! Thread. Chapter V: Murphy's Revenge Empty Re: The Gaaaah! Thread. Chapter V: Murphy's Revenge

Post  von Corax Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:49 am

Ate lobster for New Year's Eve, which was good, but now I have teeny tiny cuts all over my fingers from the spines.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 196
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

The Gaaaah! Thread. Chapter V: Murphy's Revenge Empty Re: The Gaaaah! Thread. Chapter V: Murphy's Revenge

Post  SeVeNeVeS Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:45 pm

von Corax wrote:Ate lobster for New Year's Eve, which was good, but now I have teeny tiny cuts all over my fingers from the spines.

I'm approaching 60 and can say I have never tried Lobster or Crab.

My Gaaagh has to be found the new Matrix movie online, after a week of slow streaming, freezing, buffering and just not working, I finally got to see it in full......... What a complete waste of effort, I thought a big budget pile of dung, really not worth watching. Sad
SeVeNeVeS
SeVeNeVeS
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 54
Flag : England
Registration date : 2014-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:37 pm

SeVeNeVeS wrote:
von Corax wrote:Ate lobster for New Year's Eve, which was good, but now I have teeny tiny cuts all over my fingers from the spines.

I'm approaching 60 and can say I have never tried Lobster or Crab.

My Gaaagh has to be found the new Matrix movie online, after a week of slow streaming, freezing, buffering and just not working, I finally got to see it in full......... What a complete waste of effort, I thought a big budget pile of dung, really not worth watching. Sad

You think that's bad? Try being polite to your roommates, who think it was "great." They need to retire that franchise. As far as theory is concerned, the storyline was never profound, but it was good for the first movie in the trilogy. I all went downhill from there.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  rovingjack Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:34 am

Had a phonecall with my sister for the first time in a year and a half. (she always has an excuse to not give me her phone number) she's the one whose been holding up our xmas getting together with mum, and my niece home from college. Turns out they are staying with my mum, cuz her husband doesn't want her in his house after she cheated on him a couple years ago. or something, I'm not in the loop on any of that. So we sort of set up the 16th for xmas before my niece goes back to new york for college if they go back at all due to covid.

The filthy dipstick who rents the other room and shares the bathroom and kitchen with me (and I had to buy him soap because he wasn't using it to wash with, and while having a colostomy bag no less, and I'm not sure he's really using it.) came home and asked me if the landlord had told me.

told me what?

"I tested positive for covid."

thinks he got it from the ex-wife who thinks it's a hoax, and is anti-vaxx. and she was sick recently, and he goes over to be with his son every day after work.

frikkin idiots the lot of them. Hope she has complications, and he gets a good scare himself. I'm done with idiots.

rovingjack
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenos Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:32 pm

Took a back injury from my most recent job. Significant enough that I'm now not moving around so very well. This comes on the heels of taking extreme nerve damage in the hands from the job before that.

Best part? Due to actually knowing my rights, they've put lawyers on me trying to force me into a settlement, while also deciding to give me the axe. So now I'm NEET.

Ah well, so it goes. I'll hold out, I know my rights, and know what this injury is worth, since the doc rated me at what they rated me at. Only silver lining is the auto'll be paid off, and I'm no officially a stay-at-home dad. The spouse is the primary breadwinner now, telling me I've broke myself enough, my turn to rest. I guess that's a silver lining as well?
Xenos
Xenos
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 41
Flag : Sudan
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  mwbaaailey Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:02 am

Getting a little worried.

These days I play bluegrass on Monday nights with a very cautious bunch of thrice-jabbed (forms and waivers for attendance signed and everything) folks who, like me, are of the vulnerable ilk (diabetics, kidney transplants, etc.)

I also play with the Dulcimer club officers at monthly meetings to give the ZOOM crowd of members an actual band to listen to and play along with at speed (instead of one person strumming slowly and flubbing a lot because they have no one else to regulate their playing through group effort). Masking and at least twice-jabbing required for attendance. We're also the crowd who do most or all of the club's public performances these days; people like us, who mask (unless singing) and make audiences at least keep their social distance, tend to get more gigs these days, if only because we survive longer. BUT...

Recently, one of our number tested positive for Omicron after a gig. Turns out he got it from one of his students before the gig*, and he's alright now and back again, but GHAHHHH it makes one wonder what's in the offing. I keep thinking maybe I should stop performing 'for the nonce,' but somebody has to entertain people (the "bread-and-circuses" principle) so they don't get all stir-crazy and go on even more killing sprees than people are doing already.

The Quandary...

And Rovingjack, I hear you. I kind of think that I have very little room to talk, but the kind of stupidity you describe seems to be spreading; it's as if the disease causes some kind of logical disconnect that makes people not consider what they're doing to the people they visit once they know they're infected. Another thing that makes me wake up in a cold sweat lately.

----------------
*The gig was an outdoor one, in the teeth of a cold front (meaning lots of wind), and he was downwind of everyone else, so none of us were really worried, and no one else has tested positive since. Still kind of a scare, though.
mwbaaailey
mwbaaailey
Bosun

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  SeVeNeVeS Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:17 pm

mwbaaailey wrote:Getting a little worried.

These days I play bluegrass on Monday nights with a very cautious bunch of thrice-jabbed (forms and waivers for attendance signed and everything) folks who, like me, are of the vulnerable ilk (diabetics, kidney transplants, etc.)

I also play with the Dulcimer club officers at monthly meetings to give the ZOOM crowd of members an actual band to listen to and play along with at speed (instead of one person strumming slowly and flubbing a lot because they have no one else to regulate their playing through group effort). Masking and at least twice-jabbing required for attendance. We're also the crowd who do most or all of the club's public performances these days; people like us, who mask (unless singing) and make audiences at least keep their social distance, tend to get more gigs these days, if only because we survive longer. BUT...

Recently, one of our number tested positive for Omicron after a gig. Turns out he got it from one of his students before the gig*, and he's alright now and back again, but GHAHHHH it makes one wonder what's in the offing. I keep thinking maybe I should stop performing 'for the nonce,' but somebody has to entertain people (the "bread-and-circuses" principle) so they don't get all stir-crazy and go on even more killing sprees than people are doing already.

The Quandary...

----------------
*The gig was an outdoor one, in the teeth of a cold front (meaning lots of wind), and he was downwind of everyone else, so none of us were really worried, and no one else has tested positive since. Still kind of a scare, though.

I've been thinking about this, you have to think of your own safety and that of your parents.
If there is an active covid outbreak in your local community you should shield, lock yourself away and make no physical contact with anyone outside your household for a good while.
Being of high risk you got to be extra vigilant.
Just my 2 bobs worth.
SeVeNeVeS
SeVeNeVeS
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 54
Flag : England
Registration date : 2014-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:49 pm

Testing is the key. But test kits are in short supply now almost everywhere...
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  mwbaaailey Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:22 am

Keyfob for my car is cratered. The locking button no longer works without a very long wait, no matter how young the battery I put in the unit is. I've tried cleaning the contacts (alcohol on a q-tip wrapped in broadcloth shirt material, passed gently over the discolored contact circuit metal until clean), and that helped; now it works slightly, a big improvement over "not at all," but it's still not working exactly right, and the other contacts seem to be suffering as well. I guess I just sweat too much, though dropping my keys occasionally on the pavement (arthritis is so much fun! The Gaaaah! Thread. Chapter V: Murphy's Revenge 1f61d ) probably didn't do it any good either.

Went to the locksmith for a new unit. Ordered it. Dang thing's kind of pricey, and it'll be at least four more days before it arrives. Luckily, they said they'd set it up and program it for me, no charge.

Soo, I'm stuck with the backup unit, which is also a bit spotty (but works much better. Er, for the way it works, at any rate...), until then. Ah, well...
mwbaaailey
mwbaaailey
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenos Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:53 am

Just... everything right now. The world. The news. My parents. My health. Inbound depression-induced rant:

I feel like I'm losing my mind. Little bits of me, slipping away. The stitches I'd so carefully placed to hold what was left of me together are coming undone.

Frayed ends of sanity. Slipping. Falling. Grasping.
Can't catch it all. Try and hold sand, the tighter you grip, the more it slips.

That's me, falling through the cracks in my own skin.

Manic, maniac, silent, heart attack. Coming undone, losing control, spiraling downward face first into nothingness as the walls close in.
Don't know how else to explain it, really, just feels like my brain is on a stuttering repeat like the DVD skipping back to play the same scene over and over.

You watch a few times hoping it'll correct course, then when it doesn't you get up, walk across the room, and slam your fist down on the DVD player, hoping to fix it. When that doesn't work, you pop out the DVD and check for scratches. Pull out the alcohol pads and try and wipe them away, maybe it works, maybe it makes it worse. Either way, movie night is ruined.

Damaged goods. Just damaged goods. Brain skips, stutters, skids, and slips.

And that's what's making me go Gaaaah! today. My brain is collapsing in on itself, a beautiful implosion into melancholia.

I'm going to try and sleep it off, see if there's any better with the new day.
Xenos
Xenos
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  mwbaaailey Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:55 am

Nearly knackered my fiddle.

Had a furniture mishap, and the swivel desk chair fell on the violin case, knocking it over flat. I've been readjusting, restretching and retuning the two highest strings all day, finally just now managing to get the highest string to hold an E major tuning (yes, I do realize other tunings are possible, thanks).

No, I don''t want to get a more expensive fiddle to fix the problem of the instrument going out of tune and tension when something heavy knocks the case over. High-end instruments do the same temperamental things as the low end ones, I've found. Throwing money at it just makes money disappear.

Moving on...
mwbaaailey
mwbaaailey
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:17 pm

mwbaaailey wrote:Nearly knackered my fiddle.

Had a furniture mishap, and the swivel desk chair fell on the violin case, knocking it over flat. I've been readjusting, restretching and retuning the two highest strings all day, finally just now managing to get the highest string to hold an E major tuning (yes, I do realize other tunings are possible, thanks).

No, I don''t want to get a more expensive fiddle to fix the problem of the instrument going out of tune and tension when something heavy knocks the case over. High-end instruments do the same temperamental things as the low end ones, I've found. Throwing money at it just makes money disappear.

Moving on...

Sounds like you can just strum along after that...
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

mwbaaailey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:20 am

Gaah! I need to change jobs again. I'm earning money at 40 hrs per week, just not enough to pay my college loans and not so little that I qualify for aid or any kind of forebearance. I basically need to make $200-$ 300 extra per month to offset increases in food and living. My loans are so old they don't qualify for any help from the government.

May have to start building and selling on the net again. Or I just quit my job and find something else. I can sustain myself like this for 6 months max. After this I'm in serious trouble.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:13 am

J. Wilhelm wrote:Gaah! I need to change jobs again. I'm earning money at 40 hrs per week, just not enough to pay my college loans and not so little that I qualify for aid or any kind of forebearance. I basically need to make $200-$ 300 extra per month to offset increases in food and living. My loans are so old they don't qualify for any help from the government.

May have to start building and selling on the net again. Or I just quit my job and find something else. I can sustain myself like this for 6 months max. After this I'm in serious trouble.
My nephew is an engineer with Pratt & Whitney in Montreal. How's your French?

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 196
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:27 am

von Corax wrote:
J. Wilhelm wrote:Gaah! I need to change jobs again. I'm earning money at 40 hrs per week, just not enough to pay my college loans and not so little that I qualify for aid or any kind of forebearance. I basically need to make $200-$ 300 extra per month to offset increases in food and living. My loans are so old they don't qualify for any help from the government.

My nephew is an engineer with Pratt & Whitney in Montreal. How's your French?

Unfortunately not good, but perhaps it's time to learn?
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenos Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:03 am

We're scraping by where I'm at now. My most recent injuries put me out of the workforce, likely permanent, but my state being what my state is, any kind of aid is... well, nearly impossible to get since I'm not in a wheelchair/on crutches/still have my limbs. Getting a pittance from my former employer that's just enough to pay the bills as long as we eat ramen and peanut butter. The wife is looking for work, basically stating "You've done your time, time for me to do mine."

Best of luck in finding work, mate.

As for my Gaaaah? Wrote a new song--first one in probably 2 years? Music too. Damn nerve damage (aforementioned injuries) are preventing me from playing/recording it. A minor thing, but just a reminder of how badly damaged I am now. Won't lie, folks, it's pretty dark right now.
Xenos
Xenos
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down