Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

New and Returning Members of the Brass Goggles Community

+4
Sorontar
J. Wilhelm
Synistor 303
von Corax
8 posters

Go down

New and Returning Members of the Brass Goggles Community Empty New and Returning Members of the Brass Goggles Community

Post  von Corax Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:16 am

If you are attempting to register and get a message that your email address or username is already in use, you may have already registered some time ago and simply forgotten.

If this is the case, or if you have forgotten your password, please email me at dpvoncorax@gmail.com and we'll see what we can do about it.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 196
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

New and Returning Members of the Brass Goggles Community Empty Re: New and Returning Members of the Brass Goggles Community

Post  Synistor 303 Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:25 am

I haven't seen Banfilli in here - is there any way to get a message to her? She may not know about Spare Goggles...
Synistor 303
Synistor 303
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2020-08-29

Back to top Go down

New and Returning Members of the Brass Goggles Community Empty Re: New and Returning Members of the Brass Goggles Community

Post  J. Wilhelm Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:58 am

There's a number of followers (150) in the Twitter account, @Brasstech (BrassGoggles Tech). I recognize only a very few people, because they tend to have different profiles and avatars, though. If we could commandeer that account, maybe we could catch a few more members.

The other Twitter account is @BG_couk (BrassGoggles.co.uk) and only has 50 followers.

I think the only other way is to get into the Facebook page or the profile.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Number of posts : 162
Flag : United States
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorontar Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:29 am

The problem with social media is how you chose to use it. If we want to promote a separate BG forum, the idea isn't to get lots of followers on FB or Twitter. You need to work out how to get people who spot a BG account/message on those platforms to join the forum. One way I suggested a long time ago is to use social media like the news agencies and companies often do - as an echo board of messages placed on the official forum. The issue then is how this echoing occurs.

A few alternatives I can think of
  • Daily posts:
    • Link to the top three/five/ten discussion points, ie. those with the most replies
    • Link to each the first new post of the day in each thread
    • Link to selected posts or threads
    • Link to selected multimedia posts, because images and videos grab attention

• Monthly/Weekly posts:
    • Link to the top ten discussion points for the month/week
    • List of the top ten contributors, though I see this as becoming competitive and not contributing anything
    • Listing the trends for the month/week, to indicate what the current focus of discussions is

• Announcement posts:
    • Link to any announcements

The crucial part to this is to set up the software to do all of this, not running it all manually. This could possibly be done within the forum software (if open source) or it could be set up as independent scraping software (ie. software that reads the forum itself and then uses the API for the social media platform to post a message). This will take time and expertise to set up. It will be crucial that the social media posts should be sharable but the intention should be that if the public wants to read the entire discussion and respond to it, they will need to come to the BG forum, not just use the social media platform. We want the BG community to be in one controllable place, not shared around platforms. All roads lead to Rome, as such!

If you are familiar with designing webpages for SEO (Search Engine Optimisation), I am sure you will see various key elements in common (as well as the importance of the thread titles being clear and relevant).

Sorontar
Sorontar
Sorontar
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 46
Flag : Australia
Registration date : 2010-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:29 am

Sorontar wrote:The problem with social media is how you chose to use it. If we want to promote a separate BG forum, the idea isn't to get lots of followers on FB or Twitter. You need to work out how to get people who spot a BG account/message on those platforms to join the forum. One way I suggested a long time ago is to use social media like the news agencies and companies often do - as an echo board of messages placed on the official forum. The issue then is how this echoing occurs.

A few alternatives I can think of
  • Daily posts:
    • Link to the top three/five/ten discussion points, ie. those with the most replies
    • Link to each the first new post of the day in each thread
    • Link to selected posts or threads
    • Link to selected multimedia posts, because images and videos grab attention

• Monthly/Weekly posts:
    • Link to the top ten discussion points for the month/week
    • List of the top ten contributors, though I see this as becoming competitive and not contributing anything
    • Listing the trends for the month/week, to indicate what the current focus of discussions is

• Announcement posts:
    • Link to any announcements

The crucial part to this is to set up the software to do all of this, not running it all manually. This could possibly be done within the forum software (if open source) or it could be set up as independent scraping software (ie. software that reads the forum itself and then uses the API for the social media platform to post a message). This will take time and expertise to set up. It will be crucial that the social media posts should be sharable but the intention should be that if the public wants to read the entire discussion and respond to it, they will need to come to the BG forum, not just use the social media platform. We want the BG community to be in one controllable place, not shared around platforms. All roads lead to Rome, as such!

If you are familiar with designing webpages for SEO (Search Engine Optimisation), I am sure you will see various key elements in common (as well as the importance of the thread titles being clear and relevant).

Sorontar

Agreed. That is exactly what I was suggesting in another thread... specifically I suggested using an echo chamber of posts in the forum with links embedded in shiny images and videos - I was wondering using frame based platforms like Pinterest, but Twitter and DeviantArt too (I have accounts in all three platforms, by far Pinterest garnishes the most clicks, followed by Twitter, and DeviantArt is pretty desolate for me, I haven't found the formula to make DeviantArt productive).

In my post above I was referring to letting people know BG is down. Then problem we're facing now is that many active members were left behind. There are some long time lurkers who are in other platforms but like to eavesdrop on Brassgoggles regularly. In my experience, many Facebook Steampunks also are friendly toward Twitter. I know this from my 3 Texas Steampunk groups- they're all on Facebook, and most also use Twitter. I was wondering if I could communicate with them. But I only see very old Twitter accounts from people we knew, and many other accounts from people I don't recognize or never met. Perhaps Facebook as the only viable option to tell them we're still alive.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenos Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:33 pm

I managed to find my way here! Though I fell into the category of "lurker" towards the end, despite having been a fairly active member of the community at one point. Life, health, all that. Probably will still mostly be a lurker these days. Just too much on my plate.

That said, those members that were active will likely find there way here, eventually, if I managed to.
Xenos
Xenos
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 41
Flag : Sudan
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:19 pm

Xenos wrote:I managed to find my way here! Though I fell into the category of "lurker" towards the end, despite having been a fairly active member of the community at one point. Life, health, all that. Probably will still mostly be a lurker these days. Just too much on my plate.

That said, those members that were active will likely find there way here, eventually, if I managed to.

Welcome back! Here's hoping many others do find us.
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  Synistor 303 Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:50 am

I happen to know where Banfili lives (her address only). Would it be creepy if I send her a note via snail-mail to let her know where we are now? I don't know her name, just where she lives... (She described where her house was once, and I knew the area, so figured it out - it is a very small town, so not too difficult to find the house 'next door to the bowls club with the big tree out the front...') What do you think?

Synistor 303
Synistor 303
crewhand
crewhand

madamemarigold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenos Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:13 am

Synistor 303 wrote:I happen to know where Banfili lives (her address only). Would it be creepy if I send her a note via snail-mail to let her know where we are now? I don't know her name, just where she lives... (She described where her house was once, and I knew the area, so figured it out - it is a very small town, so not too difficult to find the house 'next door to the bowls club with the big tree out the front...') What do you think?

The obvious solution is to hire a skywriter. It's simple, effective, and gets the point across without being creepy at all. "Hey, Banfili, we're at SpareGoggles Now, but I didn't want to send you snailmail because that'd be creepy, how much is this per letter in the Sky? Who cares, THIS IS IMPORTANT, also, we've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty, you should have received something in the mail about your extended warranty..."
Xenos
Xenos
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 41
Flag : Sudan
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:28 am

Could it be done with a steamy postcard? You know, like some sort of Victorian themed Happy New Year card? That's a lot better than sending an actual snail to knock on her door. Very Happy
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorontar Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:09 am

STARTMESSAGE Could you send her a telegram? STOP Sorontar STOP ENDMESSAGE
Sorontar
Sorontar
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 46
Flag : Australia
Registration date : 2010-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  SeVeNeVeS Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:20 am

Synistor 303 wrote:I happen to know where Banfili lives (her address only). Would it be creepy if I send her a note via snail-mail to let her know where we are now? I don't know her name, just where she lives... (She described where her house was once, and I knew the area, so figured it out - it is a very small town, so not too difficult to find the house 'next door to the bowls club with the big tree out the front...') What do you think?

You could PM her from here and hope an auto e-mail is sent.

https://sparegoggles.forumotion.net/u659

Or if deemed appropriate von Corax could look into the registration details and e-mail her direct.
SeVeNeVeS
SeVeNeVeS
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 54
Flag : England
Registration date : 2014-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:04 am

SeVeNeVeS wrote:

Or if deemed appropriate von Corax could look into the registration details and e-mail her direct.
The Contact tab of her profile has an "email" button, so you should be able to email her direct even without knowing her address.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Back to top Go down

Post  SeVeNeVeS Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:42 am

von Corax wrote:
SeVeNeVeS wrote:

The Contact tab of her profile has an "email" button, so you should be able to email her direct even without knowing her address.

Possibly not for us regular members.

This is what I can see.

New and Returning Members of the Brass Goggles Community Screenshot-2022-01-10-at-07-32-05-Contact-Banfili
SeVeNeVeS
SeVeNeVeS
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:56 am

Hah. It's annoying when that happens!

I've just checked her profile and she will receive an email when you PM her, assuming her address is up-to-date, so that's probably your best bet. If that doesn't work I would have no other way to contact her anyway.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Back to top Go down

Post  SeVeNeVeS Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:19 pm

von Corax wrote:Hah. It's annoying when that happens!

I've just checked her profile and she will receive an email when you PM her, assuming her address is up-to-date, so that's probably your best bet. If that doesn't work I would have no other way to contact her anyway.

Easy to forget about the extra buttons and doodads sometimes. Very Happy

Thanks for looking into it.

Over to creepy, stalker woman Synistor 303 to organize the airship with a flying banner, if a PM or postcard fails then.  Very Happy

lol!
SeVeNeVeS
SeVeNeVeS
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Synistor 303 Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:53 am

SeVeNeVeS wrote:

Over to creepy, stalker woman Synistor 303 to organize the airship with a flying banner, if a PM or postcard fails then.  Very Happy

lol!

I have just sent Banfili a PM. (And I know where you live too, SeVeNeVeS... Twisted Evil I searched all the Melbourne suburbs on Streetview until I found the house with the robot out the front. Bwaahaahaaha!)
Synistor 303
Synistor 303
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  SeVeNeVeS Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:47 am

Synistor 303 wrote:
I have just sent Banfili a PM. (And I know where you live too, SeVeNeVeS... Twisted Evil I searched all the Melbourne suburbs on Streetview until I found the house with the robot out the front. Bwaahaahaaha!)

affraid Thank the Cogs you may have confused me with Maduncle, phew.
SeVeNeVeS
SeVeNeVeS
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:29 am

Synistor 303 wrote:
SeVeNeVeS wrote:

lol!

Mr. Seven is not in the Antipodes. Try again Wink
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  mwbaaailey Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:23 pm

A Robot... Did Maduncle have a robot?

Senility raises it's ugly, forgetful... uh...

Oh dear.
mwbaaailey
mwbaaailey
Bosun

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:26 pm

mwbaaailey wrote:A Robot... Did Maduncle have a robot?

Senility raises it's ugly, forgetful... uh...

Oh dear.
Maduncle did indeed have a very nice robot, if memory serves.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir Henry Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:04 pm

You'll have to try (just a little bit) harder to shake me off!

Sir Henry

Number of posts : 1
Flag : Netherlands
Registration date : 2022-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Wilhelm Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:24 am

Sir Henry wrote:You'll have to try (just a little bit) harder to shake me off!
Welcome back Sir Henry!
J. Wilhelm
J. Wilhelm
Bosun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down