Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Today at 1:49 am

» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8210 messages in 708 subjects

Lest one think that you can't find products that have that lovely Victorian feel..

4 posters

Go down

Lest one think that you can't find products that have that lovely Victorian  feel.. Empty Lest one think that you can't find products that have that lovely Victorian feel..

Post  HAC Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:48 pm

You still can...

Lest one think that you can't find products that have that lovely Victorian  feel.. Penhaligons

Latest acqusitions (and it took a while to find a distributor in Canada,(there is only one, BTW)), Penhaligon's men's Eau De Toilette..
Blenheim Bouquet is from 1902, and was the favorite of such folk as Chruchill and Kipling. Starts off with citrus, and ends as a lovely woody pine and pepper.
English Fern is the classic fougere, like a walk in the woods...

The razor, is an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth... Not shown are the badger hair brush and an antique shaving scuttle..

Cheers
Harold

Last edited by HAC on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAC
HAC
Comanding Officer

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Lest one think that you can't find products that have that lovely Victorian  feel.. Empty Re: Lest one think that you can't find products that have that lovely Victorian feel..

Post  Lady Penelope Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:26 pm

I wish I could smell those....

Then again, given my current head cold, I just wish I could smell at all! Laughing

Unfortunately my husband isn't all that keen on fragrances, so I shall have to settle for inhaling deeply when in the company of other steampunk gentlemen with discriminating tastes in eau de toilette. *sigh*
Lady Penelope
Lady Penelope
officer
officer

Number of posts : 113
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Lest one think that you can't find products that have that lovely Victorian  feel.. Empty Re: Lest one think that you can't find products that have that lovely Victorian feel..

Post  Prof Eumides Blakehurst Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:48 pm

*Sigh!*

There is only one Australian 'distributer' fo rPenhaligon's, and they rarely have more than three stock items and almost always only ones for the ladies. Occasionally they have Endymion but that's it.

But my UK online supplier of Edwin Jagger at least stocks a fair selection - Blenheim (my partner's favourite), but not Hammam, which I really want to try out. I do use the Blenhiem shaving soap and love it to bits, along with the George Trumpter sandalwood soap.

And the razor is excellent (I have the horn version) - it gets a workout with the 1904 Gilettes.

PS, Harold, I need to beg your indulgence on a clock matter, but I'll send you a PM.
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  HAC Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:25 am

My Dear Prof... ask away!..
As far as Hammam, I have tried it, and it is a lovely dark rose scent for men. Its an old scnet from the 1870's I think. My problem is that it dries down to a very baby-powderish scent on me.. The good news (of a sort, unless your a purist), is that Penhaligon's will be reformulating Hammam to retain the rose but dry down to a sandalwood-frankincense base.. My supplier has promised me samples of the new scent as it lands..
My Chatsworth is also the horn version, it just doesn't show well in the pic. I agree its a top notch shaver, even better than my 1939 Gillette Tech, or my Slim Adjustable. The balance of the razor is superb, and I get clse, irritation shaves from it, every time.
As far as creams, I like Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna, and I'm currently trying out the Body Shop's Maca Root cream. Truefitt & Hill Grafton is also excellent..

Lest one think that you can't find products that have that lovely Victorian  feel.. EJ_Chatsworth

Cheers
Harold
HAC
HAC
Comanding Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Penelope Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:37 am

HAC wrote:
As far as Hammam, I have tried it, and it is a lovely dark rose scent for men. Its an old scnet from the 1870's I think. My problem is that it dries down to a very baby-powderish scent on me.. The good news (of a sort, unless your a purist), is that Penhaligon's will be reformulating Hammam to retain the rose but dry down to a sandalwood-frankincense base.. My supplier has promised me samples of the new scent as it lands..

Ohhh, my! In that case, I might have to hunt some up for myself. I tend to prefer men's fragrances over women's anyway. And my current (home-mixed) perfumed oil is a frankincense/myrrh/sandalwood combo with just a hint of cinnamon added. I used to have a Damask Rose fragrance that I quite liked, but most rose scents I've found recently are too cloying.
Lady Penelope
Lady Penelope
officer
officer

Number of posts : 113
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof Eumides Blakehurst Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:43 am

I hope, Harold, that you meant you get close irritation FREE shaves! Shocked

I think I shall have to buy some Hammam in the new year as it sounds like the newer formulation will work even better on me. (High metabolic rate - I run 'hot' and I cycle/run/swim everywhere, so I need heavier scents...)
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  HAC Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:48 am

Prof Eumides Blakehurst wrote:I hope, Harold, that you meant you get close irritation FREE shaves! Shocked

I think I shall have to buy some Hammam in the new year as it sounds like the newer formulation will work even better on me. (High metabolic rate - I run 'hot' and I cycle/run/swim everywhere, so I need heavier scents...)

My typing skills are legendary - in a bad way. Yes, exactly what I meant... Very Happy You might want to look at Douro, in the Penhaligon's line -

Cheers
Harold
HAC
HAC
Comanding Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:14 pm

Harold;
That is a most exquisite looking shaver, my good man. I am most envious. Mayhap I can convince my wife to get one for me, for Yule.

Cheers
-Z
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-17

http://42cookies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down