Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread)

+6
Dr Quack
B. R. Wilson
von Corax
TehZorch
Silas Morgan
OldProfessorBear
10 posters

Go down

Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread) Empty Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread)

Post  OldProfessorBear Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:54 am

Since there seems to be a bit of interest, I'd be willing to add some member-supplied flags to the collection, as long as it doesn't get out of hand Very Happy

The rules:

If possible, supply a .png, with transparent background. If you can't do the background, I can add it.

The flag should be 32px wide. If you supply the background, it should be vertically centered in a 32x32px square.

Just post a message with the image embedded (or the URL if you have trouble with that) to this thread.

Bear in mind that the forum rules prohibit political and religious discussion (I've always assumed this refers to contemporary issues, right?). So let's play nice.

Simple.

Last edited by OldProfessorBear on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
OldProfessorBear
OldProfessorBear
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread) Empty Re: Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread)

Post  Silas Morgan Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:40 am

OK... now I'm confused... (not that I never am...) but what is a .png format..... I know .gif. jpg. even Bmp. but I have no idea what .png is.........
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread) Empty Re: Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread)

Post  OldProfessorBear Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:14 am

Silas Morgan wrote:OK... now I'm confused... (not that I never am...) but what is a .png format..... I know .gif. jpg. even Bmp. but I have no idea what .png is.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics
OldProfessorBear
OldProfessorBear
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:22 am

Cool...cool...cool....

I looked at the Wikipedia link, and then checked Photoshop......

I have never used or saved a graphics file as a .png , but Photoshop will let me do that.......cool... cool ...cool....
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  TehZorch Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:05 am

Png's are awesome. They store alpha maps right inside them without separate channels and they are teeny tiny!

I'll try to get around to making the BBT and Victoriana ones soon Smile
TehZorch
TehZorch
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-09-30

http://www.mjsm.net

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:23 am

Just in case anyone was wondering...

PNG format (either Portable Network Graphic or PNG's Not GIF) was developed as an alternative/countermeasure/protest format after Unisys discovered they owned the patents (which have since expired) on the compression algorithm used in Gif87 and Gif89a, and decided to demand royalties from anyone who wrote software to create GIFs, anyone who wrote software to display GIFS, anyone who used software that could either create or display GIFs, anyone whose website displayed a GIF image, anyone who owned a server that hosted a website that displayed a GIF image, anyone who said "GIF," either as a word or as a series of initials...

Aside from the legal advantage, PNG has technical advantages: it stores 24-bit RGB colour images (vs. GIF's 8-bit indexed colour), it can (but probably never will) support multiple compression algorithms, and (as TehZorch said) it contains an 8-bit "alpha" channel on each pixel which can (for instance) represent the degree of transparency for that specific pixel (imagine a round image that bleeds into its background at the edges).

Of course, the moment everyone got through converting all their GIFs to PNG, the patents (and thus the legal impetus) expired, but it's still a technically-superior format.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 196
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  B. R. Wilson Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:27 pm

As much fun as it isn't to live here, one does feel a sort of attachment. So.

Picture:
Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread) Texas11

And link:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f76/13/06/06/84/texas11.png
B. R. Wilson
B. R. Wilson
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  OldProfessorBear Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:02 pm

Republic of Texas duly added. See end of list (all additions will be at the end).
OldProfessorBear
OldProfessorBear
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Quack Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:31 pm

von Corax wrote:Just in case anyone was wondering...

PNG format (either Portable Network Graphic or PNG's Not GIF) was developed as an alternative/countermeasure/protest format after Unisys discovered they owned the patents (which have since expired) on the compression algorithm used in Gif87 and Gif89a, and decided to demand royalties from anyone who wrote software to create GIFs, anyone who wrote software to display GIFS, anyone who used software that could either create or display GIFs, anyone whose website displayed a GIF image, anyone who owned a server that hosted a website that displayed a GIF image, anyone who said "GIF," either as a word or as a series of initials...

Aside from the legal advantage, PNG has technical advantages: it stores 24-bit RGB colour images (vs. GIF's 8-bit indexed colour), it can (but probably never will) support multiple compression algorithms, and (as TehZorch said) it contains an 8-bit "alpha" channel on each pixel which can (for instance) represent the degree of transparency for that specific pixel (imagine a round image that bleeds into its background at the edges).

Of course, the moment everyone got through converting all their GIFs to PNG, the patents (and thus the legal impetus) expired, but it's still a technically-superior format.

The moral of the story is:-

"Beware Geeks bearing GIFs."

Dr Quack
One who possesses 71 posts

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusza Beben Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:41 am

Dr Quack wrote:
von Corax wrote:Just in case anyone was wondering...

The moral of the story is:-

"Beware Geeks bearing GIFs."

lol!
Dusza Beben
Dusza Beben
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Well...until I can do up that "Pirates Who Do Nothing Flag", I have this flag from planet Betelgeuse 5.

Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread) Betelgeusemg4
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-17

http://42cookies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  TehZorch Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:11 pm

Yay! I unlaz.

Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread) Victf

Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread) Bbtf
TehZorch
TehZorch
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-09-30

http://www.mjsm.net

Back to top Go down

Post  JingleJoe Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:17 pm

Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread) SteamflagPNG
I PNGed my flag Smile It can be for the Dominion of people who like Gears Very Happy
JingleJoe
JingleJoe

Number of posts : 186
Flag : European Union

http://www.greendungeon.net

Back to top Go down

Post  OldProfessorBear Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:44 am

Four flags duly added.
OldProfessorBear
OldProfessorBear
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennette Haber Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:20 am

JingleJoe wrote:Flags for the Forum (Instructions at top of thread) SteamflagPNG
I PNGed my flag Smile It can be for the Dominion of people who like Gears Very Happy
so that would be... everyone here...

Jennette Haber
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 pm

OldProfessorBear wrote:Four flags duly added.
And that's why you're our favorite admin. pirat Very Happy
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-17

http://42cookies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  OldProfessorBear Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:04 pm

CaptZaphod wrote:
OldProfessorBear wrote:Four flags duly added.
And that's why you're our favorite admin. pirat Very Happy

Awww. *snuffle* You are too kind. Embarassed
OldProfessorBear
OldProfessorBear
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum