Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets)

4 posters

Go down

AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets) Empty AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets)

Post  Captain Dave Hawker Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:20 pm

Whilst cleaning out our workshop my collegue and I found this wonderfully crafted item.
AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets) Dsc00070

Its an old English Record Voltmeter/Ammeter for both AC and DC, would have been cutting edge in its time I believe.
We have contacted the manufacturers and are waiting to hear back from them to find if they know a date of its production.

It has storage on board for several CT's ranging from 1 Amp to 600 Amps (quite a range for an old hand held device).
AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets) Dsc00071
AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets) Dsc00072

the CT's are fixed to the device underneath via some thumb screws.
AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets) Dsc00074

Under the black cover seen on the first picture is the scales for Volts (top) and Amps (bottom). The Ammeter scale can be rotated along the horizontal via thumb screws on the outside to change the scale to suit the CT that is being used, again from 1 Amp up to 600 Amps.
AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets) Dsc00073

It also has a rather attractive leather carrying handle.
AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets) Dsc00076

So anyone care to guess an age, or possibly knows someone who used to work For the old Record Electric company?
Captain Dave Hawker
Captain Dave Hawker
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets) Empty Re: AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets)

Post  JingleJoe Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:00 pm

The Record Electric company probably made voltmeters and ammeters, and there were millions of these kind of obscure electric-device-building companies; most have faded into history, forgotten and unknown.
It's nice but it doesn't look very old. If I could have a look inside at it's workings I could give you an age estimate. Is there not a year on the case or voltmeter/ammeter faces? Usually on such big and professional devices there is a date! Some of the slightly more modern meter companies dated thier meters on the face plate.
JingleJoe
JingleJoe

Number of posts : 186
Flag : European Union

http://www.greendungeon.net

Back to top Go down

AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets) Empty Re: AC DC Voltmeter/ ammeter (picture heavy for those on steam powered aethernets)

Post  Captain Dave Hawker Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:51 am

We can't see a date anywhere on it I'm afraid, it does have what appears to be a serial number on the face plate. I know it won't be very old compared to some items found by steam punks here, but in my profession this item might as well be as old as an abacus to someone who works in I.T.
I'm not as desperate to find out its age to warrent opening the box up, I fear my carpentry skills are not up to repairing any damage that would cause.

And The Record Electric company is still going strong (founded in 1911) http://www.record-electrical.co.uk/

As stated in my origonal post I have spoken to them to try and age this piece.
Captain Dave Hawker
Captain Dave Hawker
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof Eumides Blakehurst Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:42 am

Just based on what I have in my collection, I'd say mid-1930s to early 1940s. Though if it was made in the UK it may even go later - war shortages meant that some electrical/physics/lab gear was made looking like that into the early 1950s, as I discovered when restoring a Wheatstone bridge some years ago.

Then it all went galvanised and black plastic...
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  JingleJoe Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:31 pm

Captain Dave Hawker wrote:
And The Record Electric company is still going strong (founded in 1911) http://www.record-electrical.co.uk/
whaddya know Laughing
JingleJoe
JingleJoe

Number of posts : 186
Flag : European Union

http://www.greendungeon.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Vincent Cruttle Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi All,
can't swear to it, but this looks really familiar. My grandfather was in a reserved occupation in WW2, and was an electrician, particularly doing work on the underground. I'm sure he had one of these when I was a kid. I guess it must be around the mid 1930's.

Dr. Vincent Cruttle

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down