Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed)

+36
T.T.
CaptainPhania
Paul8v
Rowan of Rin
The Kernel
Shameri
James Harrison
Earl Otterby
Mr Clockwork
Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis
T.Taylor the Third
von Corax
The V.A.P.
neon_suntan
Mrs. Sullivan
Lady Penelope
Tanuki
Abraxas
CaptZaphod
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Gazongola
Dandeliondream
BaronPablo
Dax
Steamblast Mary
stormfeather
vermillion
A.G.Morgan
Zepherius
pocalypse
Herr Döktor
Kirsty
MaggotyAnne
Plum
Prof. George of Chaos
OldProfessorBear
40 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed) Empty The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed)

Post  OldProfessorBear Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:27 am

I am reading The Da-Da De-Da-Da Code. My first attempt with this author, who is seriously hinged sideways.
OldProfessorBear
OldProfessorBear
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed) Empty Re: The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed)

Post  Prof. George of Chaos Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:05 pm

I read Cory Doctorow's Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom last night and I'm about to start on Little Brother after this sojourn on the forums.
I'm also partway through John Safran Fouer's Everything Is Illuminated (a rather good book (and film). It's curious how much more quickly one seems to read things online than on paper), and (though it's been much longer since I went back to this one) Douglas Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach: And Eternal Golden Braid.

Prof. George of Chaos
officer
officer

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-09-14

http://www.georgiechaos.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed) Empty Re: The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed)

Post  Plum Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:00 pm

Prof. George of Chaos wrote:
I'm also partway through John Safran Fouer's Everything Is Illuminated (a rather good book (and film). [/i].

I finished Everything Is Illuminated yesterday funnily enough, its stunning isn't it?

I'm on The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers now, its the most compelling book I've read in a long time, thoroughly eccentric. I'm also pootling my way through A Gentleman's Collection of Beastliness, which is jolly naughty so has to be read in secret when the small units are abed.
Plum
Plum
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 39

http://www.coltek.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. George of Chaos Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:25 pm

[quote="Plum Phlogiston"]
I finished Everything Is Illuminated yesterday funnily enough, its stunning isn't it?

Absolutely yes. Brilliantly broken english.

Prof. George of Chaos
officer
officer

Back to top Go down

Post  MaggotyAnne Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:03 pm

I loved Eugene Hutz in that movie! His music was awesome in the soundtrack as well.

I'm reading Making Money, and Oliver Twist.
MaggotyAnne
MaggotyAnne
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-09-15

http://maggoty-anne.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. George of Chaos Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:57 pm

Terry Pratchett and Gogol Bordello are both very magnificent indeed.

Vetinari being what he is I think it's fairly safe to expect he has some definate ideas about what Ankh Morpork is going to be like. What sort of thing do you think he's moving it towards?

Prof. George of Chaos
officer
officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kirsty Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:38 pm

China Mieville - Perdido Street Station (again), also Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Kirsty
Kirsty
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 23

http://myscarredheart.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Herr Döktor Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:56 pm

Currently, 'Shakespeare' by Bill Bryson.

Good luck with 'The Da-De-Da-De-Da Code' Old Professor Bear, I've been with him since the original Brentford Trilogy, and I find it hard to keep up with him!
Herr Döktor
Herr Döktor
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 139
Flag : European Union

http://herrdoktors.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  pocalypse Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:19 am

The Alchemy of Stone by ekaterina sedia.

(add her name to the horrid name list)
(its a suprisingly scrumptious name)

and its amazing.
i had to pick a free-read for my english class.
amazing.
pocalypse
pocalypse
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Zepherius Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:32 am

Too many favourites here -Pratchett, Hutz, China Mieville, GEB:EGB (which I've not read but I know I need to.) I'm currently reading the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, and I'll follow it with American Gods. It's the only major work in any medium by Gaiman I've not read, and apparently I'm saving best for last.

Vetinari being what he is I think it's fairly safe to expect he has some definate ideas about what Ankh Morpork is going to be like. What sort of thing do you think he's moving it towards?

Stronger industry. Modern infrastructure allowing the city to run. I wonder (perhaps) if this is TP's plan to tell a form of Discworld climax while he has time. In the first book, the city was a stereotype mediaeval warren with an evil despotic oligarch. It's still a warren, and still run by a despot, but fairly. It's almost Victorian, with a functioning modern infrastructure (manned humaned peopled by some awesome folks may I say). Beginning with the AMCW on up to the Banks, it's like one big process. The story of Ankh Morpork's journey to Modernity could be, alongside Death's journey and the succession of the Witches, the binding narrative of the series. I think it's going to involve the golems too: they won't be used simply as power sources any more with the Axle in place, which of course have big implications for Miss Dearhart+Co.

Zepherius
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  A.G.Morgan Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:16 am

Just finished Victory of Eagles. It kicked ass.
The whole time there's this character, a general named Wellesley, who show's little love for our traitorous heroes, but who also proves himself to be a very competent commander.

And the whole time, I'm getting the feeling I've heard that name before. Then at the end he's made a duke and all that, and I slap my forehead and say "THAT'S what his name was back then!" I'm sure you Brits knew as soon as you saw the name Wellesley, but as an American I never learned much about the Napoleonic Wars in school.

A.G.Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-09-17

http://agmorgan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  vermillion Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:54 am

i am literally just starting the paradise snare: the han solo trilogy. .....<3

vermillion
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  OldProfessorBear Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:17 am

Herr Döktor wrote:
Good luck with 'The Da-De-Da-De-Da Code' Old Professor Bear, I've been with him since the original Brentford Trilogy, and I find it hard to keep up with him!

Ah, that would be the trilogy in seven volumes, I believe?

Well, time will tell ... I'm well into it now ...
OldProfessorBear
OldProfessorBear
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 229

Back to top Go down

Post  stormfeather Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:36 am

Having recently just slogged through the "his Dark Materials" triolgy aka The Golden Compass et al (and the books do have some lovely moments betwixt the slogging) and finished up a Ridley Pearson cop mystery that was supposed to include the Seattle Underground (actually didn't have that much in it) and finished Shanghai Tunnels about Portland Oregon (again not so much about the tunnels! Curses- false titling)
I am now re-reading the Mists of Avalon Marion Zimmer Bradley....
because it's a damn good book and it cures my insomnia, except when I read it, then fall asleep, I drop the heavy tome on my head and then wake up again...
and get up and come look at spare goggles again....
I'm hopeless.

stormfeather
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Steamblast Mary Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:10 pm

I've just finished Kate Mosse's Sepulchre. It was a slog, but it held my interest enough to see it through.

Also just re-read Waiting for Goldalming. I had to laugh when it described the location of the Barber's, it turns out we would've walked right past it when we were lost in London looking for the guesthouse for the Kew Gardens meet in August.

Does anyone else suspect Tom Holt and Robert Rankin are, in fact, the same person? Have they ever been photographed together?

Planning to embark on China Mieville's Unlondon as soon as SO's finished with it. Then looking forward to George Mann's The Affinity Bridge. So no spoilers, please!

Last edited by Steamblast Mary on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)

Steamblast Mary
officer
officer

Number of posts : 120

Back to top Go down

Post  MaggotyAnne Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:16 pm

Kirsty wrote:China Mieville - Perdido Street Station (again), also Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

The last two changed my life. How could you read them at the same time?

And I got to see Gogol Bordello live last fall. Best. Concert. Ever.
I was smashed into crowd barrier the whole time.
MaggotyAnne
MaggotyAnne
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-09-15

http://maggoty-anne.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dax Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:32 am

I any of you would like a change of pace, I strongly recommend "Fool on the Hill" by Matt Ruff. It is a modern fantasy, and its brilliant.
Dax
Dax
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  BaronPablo Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:59 pm

I'm currently reading "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis. It's chilling, entertaining, and humorous at times.

BaronPablo
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 25
Location : The (formerly USS) Mallard, currently docked at San Antonio, TX

http://myspace.com/heispablo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dandeliondream Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:19 pm

I am reading Journey to the center of the earth,by Jules Verne,I have not seen the film but I was told it was not good,but it was on the shelf for the last year or so and so I started it,I love the old grammer and words, it is just great.
After this I plan to read:frankinstein, by mary shelley,and reread alice in wounderland not steampunk, but I do like it .
Dandeliondream
Dandeliondream
officer
officer

Number of posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazongola Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:57 am

Robrt Rankin. The Da Da De Da Da code, and Armageddon The Musical. Then I will be reading a book called 'The Path of Alchemy'.
Gazongola
Gazongola
Bosun

Number of posts : 197
Flag : Earth

Back to top Go down

Post  Jemima Annabelle Clough Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:00 am

Re-reading a book on corset construction

Jemima Annabelle Clough
officer
officer

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:49 am

I'm currently reading "Dispatches from Wondermark Manor" Vol 2. by Mark Malki.
I highly recommend these 2 books. As Mark describes them...they are absurd.
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Number of posts : 163

http://42cookies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Abraxas Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:51 am

[quote="MaggotyAnne"]
Kirsty wrote:China Mieville - Perdido Street Station (again), also Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Is BNW still required reading in schools these days? I certainly hope so. I didn't realize for a long time that Sir Huxley has a great repertoire of writings in all sorts of genres, many of which have become favorites. Ape and Essence -- even darker than BNW. Antic Hey -- sorta like "the mask" but they guy dons a fake beard and creates a whole new persona for himself. Crome Yellow -- predates Catcher in The Rye, and puts that teeny angst in flowery edwardian language.
Currently finishing up Dickens "Our Mutual Friend" and Nabokov's "The Defense". Not sure what's next, though I've got that old hankerin' for some good sci-fi going on.
Abraxas
Abraxas
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-09-24

http://www.myspace.com/prometheusunchained

Back to top Go down

Post  Tanuki Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:32 am

I just got the Great Outdoor Fight book by Chris Onstad. Read most of it since it arrived this afternoon, but still have a few extras to go.
Tanuki
Tanuki
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-09-13

http://www.myspace.com/mctanuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Penelope Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:45 am

"Skybreaker," the audio version (full cast recording), although I've checked the hardback out from the local library as well.
Lady Penelope
Lady Penelope
officer
officer

Number of posts : 113

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next