Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

Sneak peak at my Monoggle project (my first steampunk creation ever) be gentle =D

5 posters

Go down

Sneak peak at my Monoggle project (my first steampunk creation ever) be gentle =D Empty Sneak peak at my Monoggle project (my first steampunk creation ever) be gentle =D

Post  Taggert Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:07 pm

*This was posted over at BG and well...*
Well i decided as my first foray into steamy goodness I would try my hand at a monoggle since it's half a goggle and only half the chance to mess up =P
I would normally post some creation pics (and i will) but for now i will only post what items i am using and a teaser shot Twisted Evil
I am calling this the Sniper's Monoggle

In this pic are:
Vitamin water bottle cap, and top section cut in a eye cup pattern
bottom half of a soda can with the center removed
section of bicycle inner tube as a template for the leather section
Sneak peak at my Monoggle project (my first steampunk creation ever) be gentle =D Monogoggle4

And here is where she sits atm. (this is only mocked together the brass ring is not attached yet and i have more planned)
Sneak peak at my Monoggle project (my first steampunk creation ever) be gentle =D Monogoggle5

Any tips, feedback, suggestions or questions are more than welcome =D

Thanks for looking!

Tag
Taggert
Taggert
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 6
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Sneak peak at my Monoggle project (my first steampunk creation ever) be gentle =D Empty Re: Sneak peak at my Monoggle project (my first steampunk creation ever) be gentle =D

Post  Zwack Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Looks very good. My only suggestion would be to double stitch the leather... Basically either use two needles on opposite ends of the thread or use one needle and stitch around then stitch back again over the same holes but going in the opposite direction. It leaves a constant line of thread on each side of the leather which looks a bit better and is stronger.

Photos 15-19 show stitching with two needles... and any of the later ones will show the finished stitching...

Z.

Zwack
Comanding Officer

Number of posts : 223
Flag : Netherlands
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Sneak peak at my Monoggle project (my first steampunk creation ever) be gentle =D Empty Re: Sneak peak at my Monoggle project (my first steampunk creation ever) be gentle =D

Post  Taggert Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:16 pm

Zwak thanks for the tip, i have never double stitched before. So basically i can leave what i have in it now and restitch filling in the gaps?
Taggert
Taggert
powder monkey
powder monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rev. Redmond Farrier Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:38 am

Lovely bit of work there. I actually became a bit irritated when I saw that can bottom. I cannot believe that I never thought of that! Ingenious use of mundane objects to create a work of art!

Rev. Redmond Farrier
Rev. Redmond Farrier
Rev. Redmond Farrier
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Zwack Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Taggert wrote:Zwak thanks for the tip, i have never double stitched before. So basically i can leave what i have in it now and restitch filling in the gaps?

Yes. It will be just as effective and will (in my opinion) look better than the row of current stitching.

Z.

Zwack
Comanding Officer

Number of posts : 223
Flag : Netherlands
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Taggert Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:21 am

Did some painting , not dine yet but since BG is down i figured i would post it here. Going to get the copper tube and brass sheet tomorrow and I still have to restitch (can you tell i'm putting that off..lol), also the bolts holding the camera are temporary till i cut them down. Also need t figure out how to mount the side piece, i was thinking of a brass strip bracket.
Spoiler:

Lemme know what ya think, good or bad =D

Last edited by Taggert on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Taggert
Taggert
powder monkey
powder monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  maduncle Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:20 pm

Sensational work Taggart!

Great detail and a terrific overall 'used' look to the finish - how well does it fit?

Whilst BG is down - feel free to peruse my build blog at www.austeampunk.blogspot.com

Cheers - maduncle
maduncle
maduncle
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 28
Flag : Australia
Registration date : 2008-10-07

http://www.austeampunk.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Sneak peak at my Monoggle project (my first steampunk creation ever) be gentle =D Empty The "little pin"

Post  Nachtengel Tue May 05, 2009 12:12 am

is actually a military medal nicknamed "The Ruptured Duck" that became popular in the US armed forces during WWII. It's still in use (though no longer officially issued) today. It was/is given to servicemen who were honourably discharged as a means of identifying them as -not- being AWOL as they were permitted to wear their uniforms for 30 days due to the clothing shortage.

I'd check regulations about using active military hardware in your creation though.

That being said, the monogoggle looks great!

Nachtengel

Number of posts : 1
Flag : Earth
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down