Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

Request for Comments: Fictional Organizations Wiki Page

5 posters

Go down

Request for Comments: Fictional Organizations Wiki Page Empty Request for Comments: Fictional Organizations Wiki Page

Post  von Corax Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:13 am

I propose to add a page to the wiki to list those organizations which are not airship crews, which consist of only one person, and which may or may not actually exist. This would include both "organizational pseudonyms" such as JingleJoe's Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories or my own Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics, and completely-fictitious outfits such as the Royal Corps of Scientists and their arch-rivals the Royal Marines Science Brigade (both currently works-in-progress.)

I propose that all such organizations remain the property of their creators, but could be made available for the use of others (in role-play or writing, for example) provided that the user in no way changes the nature of the organization, and perhaps subject to further restrictions from the owner. In addition, they could be divided as follows:
  • Organizations in which anyone may freely claim membership. Such organizations nevertheless would probably (but not necessarily) have some charter to which members would be expected to adhere.
  • Organizations large enough to have independent subgroups. Such subgroups might (with the owner's permission) form a framework for roleplay groups, or might feature in others' works of fiction (à la the Thieves' World stories.) Such organizations could be large enough to (hypothetically) unknowingly harbour rogue subunits which might (with the original owner's permission) act entirely out-of-character for the organization without altering the greater whole.
  • Private organizations which are regularly mentioned in public. These would primarily include groups with closed membership (including groups-of-one) but which may (or may not) do business with others, both in fact and in fiction, or which may (or may not) employ agents who do business with others.

So... Thoughts?
Comments?
Suggestions?
Enhancements?
Should this be a new thread?

Regards,
Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax, Director
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics

Last edited by von Corax on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Right - new thread it is then, I guess...)

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 196
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Request for Comments: Fictional Organizations Wiki Page Empty Re: Request for Comments: Fictional Organizations Wiki Page

Post  magister Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:33 pm

A good idea, a bit of infrastructure might help people flesh out their persona in the steamy world. Naturally, anyone can found any new organization, so I can't see it as significantly restrictive, and it would add a great deal of solidity to the world. Even outside of roleplaying, it might be useful to people just crafting a steamy persona for their own amusement.

In addition to the laboratories, there should probably be some great houses for nobility and their retainers, universities for the academically centered, some kind of monolithic East India company thing for merchants, a mercenary company or guild for hired soldiers, perhaps even an anarchist alliance for the rebels.
magister
magister
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 23
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Request for Comments: Fictional Organizations Wiki Page Empty Re: Request for Comments: Fictional Organizations Wiki Page

Post  Captain McCannon Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:09 am

A splendid idea! I'm all for it.
Captain McCannon
Captain McCannon
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-09-13

http://arwenflames.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Flonker Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:19 am

Considering I'm a member of Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow, Inc (a Delaware corporation for tax purposes, of course!), I'm for this...

Flonker
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  magister Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:32 am

The better question is what heading should these organizations be put under?

There's already a section for organizations on the wiki, but it's a list of real world groups and such.

Perhaps we should differentiate these under a heading such as: Fictional Organizations, Roleplay Affiliations, or Persona Groups?
magister
magister
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. George of Chaos Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:24 am

I am of the opinion that, since we mash fact and fantasy together so gloriously much already, sticking orginizations of both types under the one heading shouldn't present any problem whatsoever. If the authors of their respective* entries really want to note the fictionality/factualitude of what they are writing on there could be some kind of optional tag or disclaimer to put at the foot of the article, but if we don't put one in or seperate these catagories, and membership is clearly both open and potentially freelance...are you at all familiar with the phenomenon of defictionalization?
I'm thinking this could start to happen by accident.

*Is that the right use of the word 'respective'? I'm not entirely sure.

Prof. George of Chaos
officer
officer

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-09-14

http://www.georgiechaos.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:17 am

I have continued this thread on Brass Goggles at Request for Comments: Fictional Organizations Wiki Page (cont. from SG). I will be monitoring both sites for further discussion.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 196
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  magister Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:36 am

Perhaps a clearer solution would be to move the existing real life group entries such as the Steampunk Society of Massachusetts to a seperate Regional Organizations page to avoid confusion.

Essentially, I want to encourage the building of fictional organizations without obscuring the entries for regional groups who are seeking people to get involved in real life.
magister
magister
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down