Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

I need a pocket watch.

+5
James Harrison
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Kabuki
Zwack
Plum
9 posters

Go down

I need a pocket watch. Empty I need a pocket watch.

Post  Plum Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section, I'm still a little disorientated in our temporary home.

Last night after a few (but not too many) pints of Dragon's Blood I had the dreadful misfortune to fall over and land rather heavily on my poor faithful old watch, smashing it beyond recognition.

I am thus in need of a new timepiece and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions where I might find a suitable pocket watch. I have been scouring the charity shops for months but to no avail; I have found only wrist watches. As I will shortly be going back to college I figured that a pocket watch would be a more practical option; for H&S reasons we can't wear any jewelry in the forge and taking a wrist watch on and off and keeping it safe just isn't practical for someone who falls over their own bootlaces Wink

The only one I have managed to find is in Argos and is waaay too shiny! All suggestions gratefully received.

Plum*
Plum
Plum
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-09-12

http://www.coltek.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

I need a pocket watch. Empty Re: I need a pocket watch.

Post  Zwack Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:46 pm

ebay usually has a bunch...

Are you looking for mechanical or Quartz movements?

Hunter or open face?

Open Face are cheaper than Hunter watches. There are a lot of cheap chinese watches but I've heard that the movements will only last about a year...

Personally I have a pair of Elgins (one key set, key wind purchased from a local store, and the other is pendant set and wind purchased from ebay).

If going through ebay for an older watch make sure that it is running and keeping good time.

If it's an Elgin then you can find out a bit about it from the serial number on the movement (elginwatches.org).

My key wind key set watch has minor issues so I don't carry it very often. The other one prefers to be vertical or horizontal but not some strange angle in between. So that one I tend to wear with a waistcoat.

My wife has a Swiss Bucherer pendant watch (mechanical, from the 1960's I think) which keeps excellent time and was also purchased from ebay. That might be another option for you. You can always wear it as a pocket watch when you're working in the forge...

I hope that this helps,

Z.

Zwack
Comanding Officer

Number of posts : 223
Flag : Netherlands
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Plum Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:12 pm

Thank you! I did consider Ebay but am nervous of buying something from there for fear it may not function correctly. However you seem to have had good experiences so I may venture on there and have a look. Dammit, just when I need the pocketwatch thread *sigh*.
Plum
Plum
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabuki Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:29 pm

Ebay is a fine source of inexpensive watches. The only real issue is that you will likely need to get it serviced. I am quite fond of the "dollar" watches, as they are still relatively inexpensive, and are pretty reliable. I own and carry a number of them, most of which have come to me non-functional. But with a little bit of careful cleaning of the pivots and balance, along with a little lubrication, I've made most of them operate well.

Kabuki
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Hudson, Esq. Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Are there any big car boot sales near by you? I bought my EDC watch for £3 from one of them and it's perfect. If you feel like taking the plunge, learn how to clean and lube them and you should be able to get any runs-for-a-bit-if-you-hold-it-vertical-but-then-stops watches up and running Smile

Ben Hudson, Esq.
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  James Harrison Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:22 pm

I am sorry to hear about your watch, I know if mine were to be broken beyond repair I'd be inconsolable.

I believe other than Argos that H Samuels sell a few on the High Street if this is any help.
James Harrison
James Harrison
officer
officer

Number of posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  T.Taylor the Third Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:23 am

I need a pocket watch. Pocketplain

did i happin to mention this already?
not cheap but a very fine watch none the less. here is a link to the site.
[url=http://thewhiterabbit.net/product_info.php?products_id=197]http://thewhiterabbit.net/product_info.php?products_id=197[/url}

T.Taylor the Third
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 28
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  VonHart Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:48 pm

I work in a thrift shop doing jewelry repair and we happen to have several available. Not sure what price range you're looking in, but I think our prices are reasonable. If you disagree, contact me and I'm sure we can work out a deal.

The pocket watches are at the bottom of the page

∞VonHart
VonHart
VonHart
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Plum Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:26 pm

Oh goodness, I need a backwards watch, that is quite stunning, not to mention potentially rather amusing with drunken friends.

VonHart, do you ship to the UK or is that hoping too much? You have some rather lovely stock, how on earth do you manage not to take it all home?

Apologies for ropey sentences, I have one of those evil colds that steal your brain and leave you with just about enough IQ to remember to breathe every so often.
Plum
Plum
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  VonHart Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:41 pm

I will ship to the UK, let me know where and which watch and I'll get you a quote for price + tax + post. ( I might be able to circumvent the tax) Keep in mind, these have not been serviced, so they may need a service however, they all do run.

As to how I don't take it all home: It's a business. I've taken home a fair amount of goodies (about 12 watches total), but we do have to make money somewhere. I'll probably end up having to sell a few of the ones I've taken home eventually, but I'll enjoy them while I've gotten them.
VonHart
VonHart
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Steamblast Mary Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:31 am

I picked up one for £4 from Birmingham rag market. not the bst quality, obviously, but I like it. Especially now a coat of Tin Bitz's taken the garish gleam off.

Steamblast Mary
officer
officer

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  pennydreadful Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:29 am

You may want to check pawn shops too. We were looking in one Friday and I saw some pocket watches in the jewelry display. None of them were exactly what I was after but I was a bit surprised to find them.

I did see an interesting skeleton pocket on ebay. The skeleton grill on the back cover looks like a spider web. I am also partial to some of the Charles Hubert watches but I don't know enough about them as far as quality goes.

If you want a real beater of a watch I think Walmart still sells pocket watches. They are cheap in quality and price but if it is going to be beat up at work it might be an option.
pennydreadful
pennydreadful
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-10-09

http://darkstyleblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down