» Rogues Gallery Incidental
by mwbaaailey Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:06 am

» Brass-Gogglers -
by J. Wilhelm Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:58 am

» BG down - domain expired
by oldskoolpunk Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:20 am

» Also found the way....
by The Bullet Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:20 pm

» So... anyone got something to talk about in the meantime?
by Mercury Wells Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:00 pm

» Is Brass Goggles down again?
by Argus Fairbrass Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:46 am

» Here we Go Again?
by mwbaaailey Thu May 08, 2014 11:34 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Captain Lyerly Sun May 04, 2014 4:23 am

» Heartbleed?
by Argus Fairbrass Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:20 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 626 registered users
The newest registered user is Will Rockwell

Our users have posted a total of 7575 messages in 659 subjects

Goggles with Glasses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Goggles with Glasses

Post  T.T. on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:58 pm

I can't seem to find any steampunk goggles that are wearable with glasses (I wear glasses). Does anybody know if there are any decent looking goggles that are wearable with glasses? Thanks.
P.S. I don't have contacts.
T.T.
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-10-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Goggles with Glasses

Post  Lady Penelope on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:08 pm

There are welding goggles similar to these that can be worn over glasses:
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/safetyglassesusa_2024_38205639
(Sorry...I tried putting the image into this post, but the pic link didn't work properly.)

They can be modified to look more steampunk. However, depending on the modifications you make, they may or may not be suitable for use as actual safety goggles afterwards. I'm assuming you're just wanting them for costuming purposes, though.
Lady Penelope
officer
officer

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-09-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  T.T. on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:09 pm

Lady Penelope wrote:There are welding goggles similar to these that can be worn over glasses:
(Sorry...I tried putting the image into this post, but the pic link didn't work properly.)

They can be modified to look more steampunk. However, depending on the modifications you make, they may or may not be suitable for use as actual safety goggles afterwards. I'm assuming you're just wanting them for costuming purposes, though.
Well kind of costume and kind of for airsofting I need some shatterproof goggles and figure if I'm gonna shoot my friends, I have to shoot them in style.
T.T.
crewhand
crewhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:43 pm

TT wrote:
Lady Penelope wrote:There are welding goggles similar to these that can be worn over glasses:

Well kind of costume and kind of for airsofting I need some shatterproof goggles and figure if I'm gonna shoot my friends, I have to shoot them in style.
I suggest a sniper rifle for shooting your friends. That way you can sit quite a safe distance away, and not need safety gear. You will of course, need new friends.
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-17

View user profile http://42cookies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Penelope on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:34 pm

In that case, I'd suggest doing a websearch for sporting goggles / paintball goggles / soft air gun goggles, and taking note of any styles that look like they're designed to fit over glasses. With a bit of imagination, there's a way to modify pretty much any kind of goggles to make them look a little more "steampunk", although I'd advise against changing the lenses out and/or putting any metal bits (gears, screen, etc.) over or inside the lenses. My first pair of goggles were black plastic airsoft goggles that I simply repainted with copper and brass paint marker. (I eventually plan to replace the current black elastic strap with brown leather, but haven't gotten around to it yet.) Since you're planning to use them for safety goggles as well as costuming, I wouldn't add too much (if anything) in the way of brass fancy bits (i.e., no attached loupes, gears, etc.), just to ensure there's nothing that can come loose and injure you in the middle of an airsoft battle. Safety comes before "spiffy." Smile
Lady Penelope
officer
officer

Number of posts : 113

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GhostGir on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:44 pm

I dont think you cam mix paint ball goggles with steampunk goggles without DIY home made being on the label.

GhostGir

Back to top Go down

Post  A.G.Morgan on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:06 pm

I'd suggest going to the optometrist of your choice and getting some prescription lenses without the frames. Then building goggles around them.
I'm not very familiar with air soft, but I can't imagine you could break glasses with an airsoft gun without using it as a hammer.

A.G.Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-09-17

View user profile http://agmorgan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  T.T. on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:16 pm

Ok, thanks for all the responses, the community on these fourms are great and quick.
T.T.
crewhand
crewhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  justredstockings on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:06 am

I'm as confident as the others that some form of airsoft goggle/mask has been made with glasses-wearing folk in mind. Find one of those, and get creative without compromising your safety. (Your appreciation of the steam asthetique will be quite ruined if you lose an eye or two...)

The easiest suggestions coming to mind would be to remove the goggle "lens" (assuming this looks like a paintball or dirtbike goggle) from the frame and then spray/paint the frame a nice brass with rusty finish. (or if you want to get REALLY snazzy, reattach the safety lens to a constructed brass frame) Then replace the elastic strap with a leather strap (I am assuming that a strap made out of leather CANNOT be a simple band like an elastic strap is, just because of the nature of the materials. So you would want to investigate leather straps... I would look at plastic or leather apparati that attach old or modern safety helmets to your head as a starting point (these are for top of the head attachement, not front of the face, but the same idea is applied.)) . Or you could simply slide that elastic strap into a "slip cover" made from some oldish looking but flexible material. (Think of a shoelace.)

Just a start, just a start!

justredstockings
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KatarinaNavane on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:10 am

This is my alternative to goggles that works with glasses.

harborfreight.com
KatarinaNavane
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-09-28

View user profile http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pheobsky on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:25 am

I'm not too sure these would be usefull for paintballing but I thought I'd give them a mention anyway. My father's gas goggles are made so that they have a slit under the nose bridge on the eyecup, so that it is possible to wear glasses while welding, as the bridge of the glasses is not obstructed. THey also have a slightly deeper eyecup than most standard goggles in order to fit the glasses, however I doubt they'd work with all specs, as some might be too broad...

Another option to try would be getting a pair of WWII prescription glasses (you can pick them up at fleamarkets if you're in the UK) as they're designed to sit under a gasmask & so are rather compact- although naturally you'd have to re-lens them.

The third option is to get prescription lenses for your goggles, that way you don't need to wear glasses at all!
Pheobsky
Ętheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 125

View user profile http://sparegoggles.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  markf on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:47 pm

There's a ton of posts related to this on the Steampunk Forum goggles master thread, so when it returns to life you'll have a ready resource of research, and one of my posts from there may be of use.

My solution to the problem, as a prescription eyeglass wearer, was a combo glasses/sunglasses/goggles for dailywear. I bought a beat up pair of 1915 Wilson mesh-sided motorcycle goggles, which are basically eyeglass frames with side shields, and after some restoration and mods, had my local eyeglass chain store replace the safety glass with self-darkening 'Transition' prescriptions lenses. See projects # 5 & 6 at my new website, which includes 'How To' instructions. markf

Spoiler:
http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd/Home
markf
officer
officer

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sir A Poiselamppe on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:58 am

I too have this problem, not being able to wear contacts is a real irritation playing paintball as there are 2 sets of lenses to mist up...

A solution is to invest in a pair of Prescription swimming lenses and wear those in place of glasses, not certain how well it would work for goggles though
Sir A Poiselamppe
One who possesses 71 posts

Number of posts : 71
Location : Poiselamppe Towers, Little Lamppestanding-on-the-Wyre
Flag :
Registration date : 2008-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  T.T. on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:06 am

I figure I could just take the paintball mask that I use now, (real pain to use with glasses, but gets the job done) and spraypaint it a brass colour, then if I take off everything but the goggles part (like the mouth guard thingy) it will look kind of steampunk. All I have to do after that is beat it up a bit.

I sometimes use a gas mask, but its not steampunk at all.
T.T.
crewhand
crewhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  5.6. Kaboom on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:38 am

They do actually make spec inserts for gasmasks... I had one, but I'm a difficult fit for gasmasks so my insert actually began to dig itself into my face due to the mask's tight fit, so I donated it to the navy damage control school as a demonstration fing.

It's a possible achievement, but the gasmask inserts are made to clip into gasmask goggles, over the nose. It might not work so well for regular goggles.

5.6. Kaboom
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top