Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

Uh Oh. You may want to start stockpiling bulbs

+10
SteamChild
Dandeliondream
Hester
OldProfessorBear
CaptZaphod
dman762000
Siliconous Skumins
Zwack
lilibat
heavyporker
14 posters

Go down

Uh Oh. You may want to start stockpiling bulbs Empty Uh Oh. You may want to start stockpiling bulbs

Post  heavyporker Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:43 am

Here: http://redgreenandblue.org/2008/10/11/eu-bans-incandescent-light-bulbs/

If you were hoping to get some sort of Edison bulb or squirrel-cage bulb or even just these nice low-wattage bulbs that are so nice for soft illumination... now is the time.

heavyporker
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Uh Oh. You may want to start stockpiling bulbs Empty Re: Uh Oh. You may want to start stockpiling bulbs

Post  lilibat Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:57 am

They are doing that in California too and it really annoys me because the light from them is generally really ugly and harsh. Pluse I can HEAR most CFLs. Very much not happy about it.
lilibat
lilibat
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 68
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Uh Oh. You may want to start stockpiling bulbs Empty Re: Uh Oh. You may want to start stockpiling bulbs

Post  Zwack Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:31 am

There is a local supplier of light bulbs Sunlan lighting who has more bulbs than I've ever seen before in one place and probably will ship to CA. It's worth a shot...

If not then my plans for a light bulb smuggling ring are coming to fruition! Mwahahaha!

Z.

Zwack
Comanding Officer

Number of posts : 223
Flag : Netherlands
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  heavyporker Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:55 am

WHAT?!?

You mean other people are already contemplating starting up lightbulb smuggling rings?!? Oh! Dangit! Now I have competition.

heavyporker
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Siliconous Skumins Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:19 am

I'm going to be relying on the fact that certain lower wattage bulbs cannot be replaced by CCFL lamps - namely those found in microwave ovens, gas / electric ovens, and certain other household items such as electric sewing machines. Should see me alright for bulbs up to 15watts or so (which I tend to use for certain lighting applications).

The rest of my lights are Halogen based, so still incandescent - and are not too bright if used with a dimmer.

I do need to stock up on 40W clear 'golf ball' bulbs though, as one of my ceiling lights requires 5 of them (and the cheap crap they make these days, do not last all that long!). I think I migt just order a whole box full, so that's probably around 200 or thereabouts. Smile

However the very large crystal chandelier in my mothers house is going to require rather more spares......it uses 20. And another 8 for the matching wall lights (big victorian dining room). Shocked And then there are three other smaller 6 lamp crystal chandeliers elsewhere in the house, and a further 8 double lamp wall lights too.... I've seen CCFL lamps fitted to a crystal chandelier - not a good look! (and due to medical reasons, she is light sensitive - so blue and UV emitting lamps such as CCFLs, HID, and LEDs, are completly out of the question anyway!)

Now I just need to figure out where to store 2000 light bulbs..... scratch

SS

Siliconous Skumins

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  dman762000 Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:18 am

lilibat wrote:They are doing that in California too and it really annoys me because the light from them is generally really ugly and harsh. Pluse I can HEAR most CFLs. Very much not happy about it.

you should try some of the LED based bulbs, they make them with like 12 LEDs to replace the common 60w bulb. The advantages to LEDs- long life, no heat, no noise, less power usage than CFLs.

here is a link to a LED bulb site
http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-light-bulbs/index.aspx

they are a little pricer to start but better in the long run
dman762000
dman762000
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 24
Flag : Earth

Back to top Go down

Post  lilibat Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:40 am

Yeah, the light from LEDs isn't really as pretty as the full spectrum stuff though. *sigh*
lilibat
lilibat
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptZaphod Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:45 pm

lilibat wrote:They are doing that in California too and it really annoys me because the light from them is generally really ugly and harsh. Pluse I can HEAR most CFLs. Very much not happy about it.
My wife can too.
CaptZaphod
CaptZaphod
Bosun

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-17

http://42cookies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  OldProfessorBear Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:20 am

I would have been able to hear them in my younger days. There was one department store we used to shop at that would turn on its ultrasonic detectors about half an hour before closing (to stabilize, I suppose), and that drove me out of the place every time.

I could also clearly hear the noise made by the flyback on TV sets, even from some distance outside the house where it was located. That didn't really bother me though.

One point on LEDs: All of the white LEDs I've come across so far seem to give off quite a lot of UV. So UV-sensitive people might want to avoid them.
OldProfessorBear
OldProfessorBear
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Hester Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:53 pm

Flourescent light makes me queasy. Spaces lit with it all look like prison blocks!

And if I'm subjected to this harsh, glaring light for any length of time, I develop a blinding migraine. Bugger!

Rather ironic to implement a measure to "save the environment" which actually makes our immediate environments less liveable.

Hmmm... maybe I'll have to have the gaslights re-installed in my Victorian-era house when I can't find any more contraband incandescent bulbs. [But for all I know, indoor gaslight has already been banned.]
Hester
Hester
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 18
Flag : Denmark
Registration date : 2008-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Dandeliondream Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:16 am

The"lightbulb smuggling ring" idea sounds good to me.
we cam store them behind paintings and in the dungeon. Very Happy
Dandeliondream
Dandeliondream
officer
officer

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  SteamChild Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:34 am

WE could all use oil lamps.

SteamChild
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Oliver Cross Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:49 pm

Not likely. 'Tisn't legal, I fear. Using any flammable material for lighting is considered arson, should the fire escape and burn the building, since you're taking an 'unsafe and adknowledged risk'.

Dr. Oliver Cross
officer
officer

Number of posts : 85
Flag : Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  5.6. Kaboom Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:34 am

Dr. Oliver Cross wrote:Not likely. 'Tisn't legal, I fear. Using any flammable material for lighting is considered arson, should the fire escape and burn the building, since you're taking an 'unsafe and adknowledged risk'.

Good thing nothing I used flammable lighting in ever burned down. Great blackout a few years ago in southern Ontario... arson if someone knocked a candle over?

My folks used to light the house exclusively with oil lamps of a Sunday when I was a kid.

Stupid laws and their stupid consequences. -grumbles-

5.6. Kaboom
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:04 am

5.6. Kaboom wrote:
Dr. Oliver Cross wrote:Not likely. 'Tisn't legal, I fear. Using any flammable material for lighting is considered arson, should the fire escape and burn the building, since you're taking an 'unsafe and adknowledged risk'.

Good thing nothing I used flammable lighting in ever burned down. Great blackout a few years ago in southern Ontario... arson if someone knocked a candle over?

My folks used to light the house exclusively with oil lamps of a Sunday when I was a kid.

Stupid laws and their stupid consequences. -grumbles-

I don't think it would be arson in Canada, since you (presumably) don't actually intend to burn down the building. (Canadian jurisprudence puts a great deal of importance on intent.) Probably the worst you could get is Criminal Negligence, and then you'd have to have a) deliberately done something that "obviously" escalated the risk of a fire, and b) killed someone.

(Note: I am not a lawyer, nor do I portray one on television...)

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 196
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Horse Brass Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:08 am

Using oil lamps here in Australia is quite legal, it's just that insurance companies will usually refuse to pay for any fire damage since they consider it an unnecessary risk. This leads to a standard rental contract here saying that having a naked flame anywhere in the property is grounds for eviction, which then leads to some people saying it must be illegal.

I have been ignoring such clauses for the last 20 years, since I find that when I'm under serious stress, oil lamps and candles have a far more calming effect on me at night than any form of electrickery. I do take care that my lamps have no leaks, and are kept well away from anything flammable.

As to the ban, perhaps some day making your own incandescent bulbs will be another thing to cause friends and family to shake their heads in bemusement at your odd ways. Very Happy
Horse Brass
Horse Brass
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 12
Flag : Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down