» Rogues Gallery Incidental
by mwbaaailey Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:06 am

» Brass-Gogglers -
by J. Wilhelm Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:58 am

» BG down - domain expired
by oldskoolpunk Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:20 am

» Also found the way....
by The Bullet Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:20 pm

» So... anyone got something to talk about in the meantime?
by Mercury Wells Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:00 pm

» Is Brass Goggles down again?
by Argus Fairbrass Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:46 am

» Here we Go Again?
by mwbaaailey Thu May 08, 2014 11:34 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Captain Lyerly Sun May 04, 2014 4:23 am

» Heartbleed?
by Argus Fairbrass Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:20 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 626 registered users
The newest registered user is Will Rockwell

Our users have posted a total of 7596 messages in 659 subjects

My first gun repaint and new pendants

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My first gun repaint and new pendants

Post  ObadiahAskew on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:24 pm

I've picked up a new dollar store dart gun that i plan on repainting into something a bit steamier, would appreciate color suggestions as well as advice on how to go about painting the plastic of the gun.

Also found the pendants at A.C. Moore and thought they have some excellent Steampunk possibilities. Will post pictures as i make something out of them.

May your steam be hot and your gears properly greased,
O.A.

ObadiahAskew
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-10-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My first gun repaint and new pendants

Post  Paul8v on Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:58 pm

A normal car spray or acrylic should be fine, i would go for a nice brass with dark red bits :-) You will need to "key up" the surface first with some very fine grade glass paper (Fine enough not to score the surface too much) then it should stick. To help you could try a dark primer over the top of the plastic first and make sure there's no grease at all (including sweat from your hands etc) otherwise it wont stay as well as it should.

Paul8v
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Otto Von Pifka on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:33 am

a sandable automotive primer is strong and the quality should be fine for your gun.

be patient and let it dry a day or two! It may seem dry to the touch but an extra day will make it much more resilient when you start to paint it.

a black primer saves a step (for me, anyways) for drybrushing a finish on the gun, otherwise I have to spray a black paint and let it dry before starting to drybrush the metallics.

I found that makeup brushes (the big puffy ones)make adequate brushes for drybrushing larger textured surfaces like rayguns, I buy them at the dollar stores for next to nothing. the down side is they tend to shed when you first start using one, a seasoned brush works good if you remember to thoroughly clean it after use.

I have had fairly good luck using the brush on metallic paints from rustoleum, at least so far. I use gold instead of brass as the brass just looks too bright. the silver paint is ok, if you clear seal it, it turns a gunmetal gray and if you leave it unsealed it stays silvery (but won't hold up to wear from handling)

to dry brush, I use paper plates to work the paintbrush before applying to the gun. dip the very tip of the brush in well stirred paint and then run it around a paper plate to spread it evenly on the bristles. when it just leaves a hit of paint over a bare spot on the plate, its ready for drybrushing. ( a paper plate with a textured border makes it really easy to test the brush, just rub the raised texture, it will highlight nicely when the brush is ready. now just brush the gun where you want the color, as little or as much as you think you need really

try to plan ahead on the painting, its easier to paint the deeper sections and areas the first pass, then the higher areas later. smaller brushes can be used later to work edges and smaller spots.

if that was a squirt gun, you can whittle a stick and wedge it in the hole so you have something to hold the gun by while painting it. A nerf gun, you can put something in the barrel to handle it. Even when the paint looks and feels dry, you really shouldn't handle it for a few hours, it tends to subtly mess up the finish.

those cheapy squirt guns are perfect to work on your drybrushing skills, they have all sorts of surfaces that really pop out at you when you paint them.

I use a glossy deep red model paint to mimic indicator lights and such, blue and green works too.
that ring on the side of the gun, above the grip, looks like a porthole of sorts. maybe you could paint it with that in mind.

oh I saw a little light at walgreens the other day, it was a key chain light that had a clear rod with blue stripes inside it, the light would shine down the rod and make the blue glow.
I bet it could fit in the front of the gun barrel and make it look very raygun.

Otto Von Pifka
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top