Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:42 pm

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8204 messages in 708 subjects

Post apocoliptic Punk

+17
lilibat
Jemima Annabelle Clough
neon_suntan
Mad Miss Holmes
Gazongola
The V.A.P.
von Corax
Mlle. A. aurantia
Nikola Tesla
Abraxas
ms_boo_dreadful
BaronPablo
A.G.Morgan
Zwack
JingleJoe
Prof. George of Chaos
Silas Morgan
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Post apocoliptic Punk - Page 2 Empty Re: Post apocoliptic Punk

Post  A.G.Morgan Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:05 am

neon_suntan wrote:
Any books people can recommend?

FOXFIRE BOOKS 1-12

The compiled teachings of various Appalachians, and started in '72. I'd recomend it if you're expecting a depression, apocalypse, fall of civilization, or if you just want to become a self sufficient hillbilly.
It's got everything you could ever need to know. Edible plans, hunting, makeing banjos, building log cabins, how to forge flintlock rifles, moonshining, 'and other affairs of plain living'.

A.G.Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 49
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-09-17

http://agmorgan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BaronPablo Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:52 am

The V.A.P. wrote:
BaronPablo wrote:I've noticed that most of Forbes' list of Depression-Proof cities have large/growing steampunk communities. Coincidence? Very Happy

If the economy falls, it could actually be the birth of steampunk as something truly big, finally as a lifestyle I suppose. Well, if it does happen, who wants to start a steampunk hamlet somewhere?

Out of curiousity, what cities might fall into that list?

http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/29/cities-recession-places-forbeslife-cx_jz_0429realestate.html

BaronPablo
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 25
Location : The (formerly USS) Mallard, currently docked at San Antonio, TX
Registration date : 2008-09-16

http://myspace.com/heispablo

Back to top Go down

Post  Gazongola Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:13 am

BaronPablo wrote:
The V.A.P. wrote:
BaronPablo wrote:I've noticed that most of Forbes' list of Depression-Proof cities have large/growing steampunk communities. Coincidence? Very Happy

If the economy falls, it could actually be the birth of steampunk as something truly big, finally as a lifestyle I suppose. Well, if it does happen, who wants to start a steampunk hamlet somewhere?

Out of curiousity, what cities might fall into that list?

http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/29/cities-recession-places-forbeslife-cx_jz_0429realestate.html

Oh, American cities. Ah well.
Gazongola
Gazongola
Bosun

Number of posts : 197
Flag : Earth
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  The V.A.P. Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:16 am

Those are all cities with high Steampunk populations? Seattle maybe...

Then again what do I know...which leads to the questions...what cities would you say are "centres" of Steampunk?
The V.A.P.
The V.A.P.
officer
officer

Number of posts : 103
Flag : Denmark
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Zwack Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:13 am

Jemima Annabelle Clough wrote:
neon_suntan wrote:
Also... is composting really worth doing, what, apart from making fertilizer, can you do with the stuff you compost?
It helps improve the overall condition of the soil, so very definitely - especially if viable land to grow stuff in is at any sort of premium - the nutirents need to be kept topped up Smile

Also I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Victorians used the heat form things like compost heaps to grow stuff with. But I can't find the reference right now...

More recently than that... In a past life I transcribed a bunch of interviews with gardeners from stately homes (mostly they started pre-world war II)...

A lot of them grew vegetables for the kitchen gardens but some of them were more adventurous. The use of walled gardens to grow fruit and the like. Some of them specifically referred to "hot beds" basically a raised bed made out of a compost heap. The temperature of the compost makes it a lot easier to grow plants like melons that don't normally grow in Britain.

Z.

Zwack
Comanding Officer

Number of posts : 223
Flag : Netherlands
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  A.G.Morgan Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:44 am

If it comes to that, huge advances have been made in the field of indoor horticulture thanks to modern technology and the prohibition of medicinal hemp.

A.G.Morgan
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:51 am

Silas Morgan wrote:
...(and a good "how to brew Beer" book) would be handy additions....
How to Brew by John Palmer

neon_suntan wrote:Any books people can recommend?
You could look into a series of wilderness survival guides by Tom "The Tracker" Brown, which includes books on "Wilderness Survival for Kids" and "Urban Wilderness Survival".

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 196
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:44 am

Thats kinda cool.... I'm pretty sure that book (well I think it is an earlier edition) is the one that I want to find...... If it is the book that I'm thinking about, he explained everything simple enough, and left plenty of room to explore.....(bookmarked the page also....thanks)

So beer is covered, and in one of the Foxfire books they explain stills....Next onto wine, and I should be very happy during any dang Depression......hiccup...... tongue
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  Zwack Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:56 pm

A.G.Morgan wrote:If it comes to that, huge advances have been made in the field of indoor horticulture thanks to modern technology and the prohibition of medicinal hemp.

But those usually require electricity. Not an impossibility but why waste electricity to grow stuff out of season when you can use nature for that purpose.

Z.

Zwack
Comanding Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  A.G.Morgan Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:19 am

Bah! Just put a small boiler up to your fireplace, hook a generator up to a steam engine, and viola! Electrical Powa. Usable for a huge variety of household applications aside from indoor agriculture.

A.G.Morgan
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  lilibat Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:25 am

I have a black thumb so growing food isn't something I can do.

I think we are going to get solar later this month which gives up power during the day if nothing else.

Also our house is pretty big, as long as we have that we can always take in people.

As far as doing it in style... well that's my area. I have so many sewing and crafting skills I don't think that would be an issue at all. Of course those also have practical applications, like I have such a huge back stock of fabric I could make a LOT of clothes to barter with. A lot of it is durable stuff like thick jacquard, velveteen, linen and heavy cotton. We also have a HUGE collection of board and pen/paper games so even if we lose computers we still have plenty of entertainment.
lilibat
lilibat
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Master Murdoch Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:05 am

On the note of nature being possibly unable to grow edibles on, first off grow mushrooms.
DONT eat them.
They filter out the evil's in the soil, even nuclear evil's. You then have alarge pile of nuclear mushrooms, admitedly not that great a thing to own, but it would mean you can grown in the soil after sever years of growing mushrooms.
I am not sure entirely yet of the time scale involved.
I think i shall go away and find it out.
but yes, Mushrooms are good.

Master Murdoch
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:48 am

We also have a HUGE collection of board and pen/paper games so even if we lose computers we still have plenty of entertainment.
Hummmm. that's another thing that I didn't think about... entertainment.....

Well yeah, I have a buncha roll playing games, and one of the things I really enjoyed about them was the social interaction... hey... we still played the "adventure"/ game, but there was also a lot of just goofing around and talking about other stuff that went on.....I think that is what made them so much fun to play.

And music.... people (not rock stars ) use to get together and have fun. I know there are still musicians that do that.... but during the last Depression it was much more common, so maybe the same would happen again....

Now I'm wondering about the Movies..... Would theater ticket prices go down? Would they start making happy movies again... or would people do it themselves and shoot that sort of thing on you-tube? (I don't think the internet would fall, but you may have to be more conservative about the time you were on-line....(or maybe not.... I don't know)) Or would Public theater "take-off"....

Hey, I want to thank everyone that has posted so far.... it's fun reading everyones ideas, and what they would do if a bad depression did hit... sure not all of it is Steampunk.... but it is still fun to read.
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mlle. A. aurantia Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:40 am

I would argue the taste of tofu, as I am starting to enjoy it, but I wonder if one could raise chickens in New Orleans. That is where my disputed captor and I are moving after graduation.

Mlle. A. aurantia
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  A.G.Morgan Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:45 pm

Couldn't say about the chickens. But you could always take to hunting alligators. I've got an older cousin in Alexandria who hunts them, apparently they taste kinda like chicken. Apparently they're a pest, so there should be plenty of them.

Also deer, wild hogs, frogs, fish, and mud turtles in that part of the country. As food gets expensive you might do well to remember the local wildlife can be quite tasty.

A.G.Morgan
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  The Kernel Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:04 am

re alligator - I've eaten farmed alligator in Florida, tastes just like chicken, a little chewier but not as dry.
I fed some to my (then) 5 year old daughter who commented "MMMMMMM nice chicken" but changed her assesment to "Yuk" when her elder sister told her what it was!
But while hunting them I think the old Klingon proverb holds true, "Act and you shall have diner, hesitate and you shall be dinner" applies
The Kernel
The Kernel
officer
officer

Number of posts : 116
Flag : Swizerland
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:10 pm

This has more to do with the Apocalypse than a Bad Depression. But I was looking in "The Steampunk Workshop" and read this....

The Apocalypse Will Be Slow and Boring
Jake von Slatt — Tue, 09/02/2008 - 00:05

http://steampunkworkshop.com/node?page=3

and there was a link to the series Connections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTbCNycm0nQ&feature=related
There are 5 parts to it, but how much we are dependent on technology was very interesting......
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  von Corax Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:53 am

Once you get past all the "End-of-Days/Wrath-of-God/Demons-Shall-Walk-the-Earth-and-the-Unrighteous-Shall-Perish" hyperbole, The End Times Report has some great info and resources on self-sufficient living.

von Corax
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 196
Flag : Canada
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:31 am

Once you get past all the "End-of-Days/Wrath-of-God/Demons-Shall-Walk-the-Earth-and-the-Unrighteous-Shall-Perish" hyperbole, The End Times Report has some great info and resources on self-sufficient living.
Yeah.... some of it sounds kinda wacko..... but I bookmarked the page so I can go back and check it out in detail.....
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  hellparadiso Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:58 pm

I realize I may be bumping an old thread, but I couldn't not post here.

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."

I live by this motto every day. My husband is a "gatherer," though, as in one who gathers useless crap that we don't have need for. I let him, though. All those DVDs will come in handy when we can't afford our cable bill anymore.

I have been keeping an ultimate how-to guide for myself for around ten years. Every interesting tutorial, demonstration, recipe, or technique I've learned, read, or heard about has gone into this book, and it covers everything from making your own still to constructing solar panels for your home to container vegetable gardening to repairing minor car issues. I've printed things out from online, scrawled notes on napkins, drawn bad diagrams, and converted it all into one huge hard copy.

I would definitely check out Possum Living, a book by a 17-year-old girl who lives with her father on almost no money at all. It was written in the 1970s, though, so some of the info is out of date, and they really do take this extremely seriously - you may not be prepared to kill and eat a turtle, for instance, or to directly break the law in order to achieve your comfortable survival - but a lot of the ideas are perfectly reasonable and very clever. You can Google it and find the entire text online.

There are a TON of resources, online and off (the library is your new best friend), for sustainable living, frugality, and voluntary simplicity. In my opinion, it's the way to go. I think that if people will just tap into their natural instinct for survival and the ingenuity that accompanies that instinct, we will all be just fine.
hellparadiso
hellparadiso
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:00 am

I would definitely check out Possum Living,
I found it here....
http://www.f4.ca/text/possumliving.htm

It was very interesting, but they already owned their home... I own the RV I live in, I'm paying $200 a month where I'm staying, but if the owner of the property were to loose it because of a Nasty Depression, I'd have to find another place... Ouch. The cool thing about an RV, is that it is (almost) self contained.... Unfortunately, with the high price of gas, moving it would be expensive....

Baring that... I could plant a small garden for next year, but I'd have to be very creative where I'd store any surplus.

Now to google more information about stills...... Very Happy
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:46 am

I ain't going to say nothing about making a still.... but wow... there is a lot of information (just to satisfy your curiosity,.... not that anyone would make such a thing) on the internet....

Hey... if the big bad depression did happen... as long as I could access the internet, and refer to the books I have...I might be able to make it.....
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerreth Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:58 am

Jemima Annabelle Clough wrote:
neon_suntan wrote:
Also... is composting really worth doing, what, apart from making fertilizer, can you do with the stuff you compost?
It helps improve the overall condition of the soil, so very definitely - especially if viable land to grow stuff in is at any sort of premium - the nutirents need to be kept topped up Smile

Also I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Victorians used the heat form things like compost heaps to grow stuff with. But I can't find the reference right now...

Was This what you were referring to?

It's not exactly compost but it is a fertilizer!
Jerreth
Jerreth

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-29

http://jerreth.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Zwack Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:30 pm

An active compost heap can generate a lot of warmth. A pineapple pit is doing the same thing but using horse manure... it's the heat given off by decomposition that is being used.

A simpler solution is literally to get a good compost heap going (one that is actually warm) and then grow warmer climate plants in the compost heap.

Z.

Zwack
Comanding Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2